ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Maxthon Browser Users: Maybe one of you has already solved this

<< < (2/8) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

Okay, not counting it's a couple of clicks, I'll do my usual "foot in mouth" routine and ask what you are trying to add, that's not "Right Click / Properties" in regular Windows!

MilesAhead:
I still cant believe that this is not already a built in option with some program.
-questorfla (June 13, 2015, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

The reason for the difficulty is Windows file system does not support comments.  I'm told DEC file system CMS had this feature.  I suspect the database file system Windows Longhorn was supposed to feature, but never did, was a CMS port to Windows.

So what it means is you have to do things like create external files to hold the comments or annotations.  When you copy a file using Explorer or command line, the system knows nothing about annotations so the comment does not travel with the file.

In fact I wrote a shell extension called TipOff for 32 bit Windows that showed the comment when you hovered the mouse over the file in Explorer.  It did this for certain archive file types such as zip rar tar etc..  Unfortunately for your purpose I don't know if there is any way to copy a tooltip display to clipboard so that you could launch it in the browser.

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=28529.msg266872#msg266872

The Property Page Tab in the screen shot is what you were talking about afa typing or pasting in data.  It seems more convenient than it is I can tell you after testing these shell extensions.  It gets tedious quickly.  But ok for commenting downloads assuming you don't use it for hundreds of files a day.  :)

Note the link in the post is dead. I still have the program but it only works in 32 bit Windows.

An easier approach may be to keep EditPadLite open and paste the link into it.  The editor makes the link clickable.  Then you could just put the name of the file on the next line and do control f search.

For the TreePad file approach I have a program on my page TreePadGen that creates a TreePad file(.hjt) with a blank node for each file in a folder.  At least it would save typing or pasting in the names of all your downloads.

Shades:
Not sure if there is an add-on for IE/Maxxthon, but I (mis)use the FF add-on 'Zotero' just for this purpose. Although the idea behind this add-on is for keeping references to whatever subject you do research on...it is actually very usable for storing the url (and a copy of the page behind that url) of your download. When you have a list of URL's like this it is easy to search through them, you can add/remove tags easily. Even better, you don't even need an internet connection to see the copy of the page you put in Zotero (but it is able to update the copied page when you do have an internet connection.

There is also a stand-alone version of Zotero, if you are more interested in using the software as intended.

TaoPhoenix:
Okay, not counting it's a couple of clicks, I'll do my usual "foot in mouth" routine and ask what you are trying to add, that's not "Right Click / Properties" in regular Windows!

-TaoPhoenix (June 13, 2015, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Since MilesAhead's screenshot seems different from my system, I'll post one of my own to hopefully explain my confusion.

Maxthon Browser Users: Maybe one of you has already solved this

Does anyone else have this on their system? Does it do what he wants?

KynloStephen66515:
Not too sure if this is exactly what you want (and it hasn't been updated in over 2 years) but I made this: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=34461.0

Might help you in this situation (Although, if I read this thread and got it completely wrong, feel free to ignore me!) :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version