topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Newer password keepers/form-fillers - anyone using Dashlane or 1Password?  (Read 25180 times)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Good comparison of password services with ranking:

http://www.asecureli...roboform-vs-keepass/

Giving KeePass a bold "Contra" because you are not forced to store your passwords on other people's computers... LOL!

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ "other people's" is not accurate

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The cloud basically are other people's computers.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well yes, I meant syncing, over wifi for example. I don't see the point of using third party or cloud services to get something from one of my devices to another one of mine. In my case Dropbox may be an exception but it's the only one of that sort (files everywhere thing) I use and rarely at that.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
The cloud basically are other people's computers.

You're misrepresenting what they are saying.

Difficult to keep synced between devices

That says nothing about the cloud.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

From the LastPass "pros":

Share and send login information to other Lastpass users securely

--> No, I'm not. They give KeePass a worse ranking because it doesn't come with a built-in storage on other people's computers.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

From the LastPass "pros":

Share and send login information to other Lastpass users securely

--> No, I'm not. They give KeePass a worse ranking because it doesn't come with a built-in storage on other people's computers.

You're moving the goalposts. LastPass pros has nothing to do with KeePass cons. You specifically mentioned the bold KeePass contra:

Giving KeePass a bold "Contra" because you are not forced to store your passwords on other people's computers... LOL!

I quoted the only bold contra for KeePass, which is this:

Difficult to keep synced between devices

Again, that has nothing to do with the cloud, nor does it have anything to do with sharing passwords with other people. Nor does it have anything to do with LastPass.

Nice try though.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Again, that has nothing to do with the cloud, nor does it have anything to do with sharing passwords with other people. Nor does it have anything to do with LastPass.

Oh, so they compare the password managers without comparing their features vs. each other?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Oh, so they compare the password managers without comparing their features vs. each other?

Correct.  You can make that determination based on your needs and wants.  I hate when reviews try to compare apples to oranges in terms of features.  Compare how they implemented (or didn't implement) what they implemented, and list those things clearly.  Let me draw the other conclusions when comparing software.  Else the review doesn't stand on it's own.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Master Password as a way to access one's sticky account was addressed in the beta forum.

Someone complained:
This is UNACCEPTABLE. I do NOT want to use my Master Password to access my Sticky Account. No assurance you can offer is adequate. I want StickyPass, or a reg code that licenses my software.

Give the present direction, you force me to change my Master Password with every upgrade where I have to reach my account. I want no part of the cloud, and that includes Master Password in in form/hash/salt.

Their reply:
That's exactly what it does not. We never ever use MP as a string for hashing. MP is used only locally to prove that you can decrypt a random string used later as an access token. Basically it is the same situation as if you download a special DB encrypted by your MP, containing just a registration string to prove you can decrypt it.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
The Master Password as a way to access one's sticky account was addressed in the beta forum.
They do have some loading-animation thing when you sign into the forum, so I kinda guessed they might be doing something like this - it makes me a bit uneasy in closed-source software, especially when it's not a FAQ bullet mentioning the algorithm. OTOH, it can be safer than a password if implemented correctly.
- carpe noctem

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
Redownloaded StickyPassword on OSX today, it's gone from StickYpassword_rev388.dmg to *_rev435.dmg - and now I was able to sign in to the existing account. Local WiFi sync works, and the BitDuJour discount was still in effect, so yeah, there we go.

The OSX version still needs a lot of polish compared to the Windows one, it doesn't have a top-bar icon like, say, 1Password, the preferences menu doesn't have a lot of options, there's no passphrase generator, and currently only Chrome and Safari addons.

Hm, it's storage format is SQLite, which is nice - it seems like only the entry data itself is encrypted, though, rather than a block-level encryption of the entire database.
shot-2015-09-23@00.11.20.pngNewer password keepers/form-fillers - anyone using Dashlane or 1Password?
- carpe noctem