ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Newer password keepers/form-fillers - anyone using Dashlane or 1Password?

<< < (3/8) > >>

Innuendo:
they have it well hidden - but if you click on e.g. the Android or iPhone links bottom of page - both of those are $9.99 for a lifetime license
-tomos (June 06, 2015, 03:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, that's most certainly a reasonable price, especially since that purchase goes through the Play Store and I have credit rewards sitting there doing nothing. I decided to check it out.

The Good:
- Enpass will import your data from no less than 19 different password managers.
- Watching the 'How it works' video for the Android app shows a lot of care and power went into it.
- Sync devices with a folder or an ownCloud setup. Keep your data on your equipment if you wish.
- Names and number of categories for data is extremely customizable.
- A version for nearly OS imaginable.

The Bad:
- Mandatory provision of your email address in order to obtain a download link for the Windows PC version.
- No browser integration or auto-fill on the Windows PC version.

The Indifferent:
The developer is based out of India. That doesn't matter to me (hence, the indifference), but I mention it here as some people are sensitive about where their security software comes from.

Conclusion:
If this were the mid 00's, I wouldn't be concerned too much about auto-fill browser integration, but it's 2015. If you want to compete in the for-pay space, it's a feature that is a must-have. I'll keep an eye on it, but it's not up for my use case yet.

Also, since there's no good reason to require a person's email address in order to obtain a download link, I hereby by give the Enpass developers a digital neener-neener, by disclosing their s00per-sekr1t download URL for the Windows PC version thusly with extreme prejudice.

TomD101:
Hello all,
I got to test Dashlane via bitsdujour (I think) a while back. I NEVER used a password manager before, so I have NO idea how to compare their service. I took advantage of their special offer for three years, paying 50 instead of 100 dollars. Yes, I know, there are services for free, cheaper or better, but I started - as I said - for the first time to use a tool that relieved me from looking up or memorize around 200 different passwords or login information for all the sites I visit regularly.
Method is simple: You login, while Dashlane is running. Dashlane "knows", you do a login, monitors it and asks, whether you want to store this special information. NEVER does it automatically, not even, if updating a known login with a new password.
The premium version can be installed on ANY device you own / use. It syncs automatically every new information to every (active / online) device. NO matter which device - including android cellphones (and probably apple as well) you use for creating or updating an entry, it will be synced with every other as soon as it is active.
Dashlane offers a multitude of features, like creating your home adress in a way it will automatically inserted in most masks using the typical fields like name, first name, street etc. You can of course create several of these.
The service: upon downloading the - then - current version, I run afoul on my Vista laptop. It simply would not install. We exchanged emails for a while and the guys at Dashlane did NOT give up until they found a working solution. Since then, no problem with updates or anything with my Vista machine. W7, android, W8, no problem anyway.

Impression: I am satisfied with the service, the product, the usablility and quite everything connected with the company and the product. But I DON'T KNOW better. First time. I like it. Yes, I took a look at KeepAss and some others, but did not even bother to install. Something just didn't feel ... right. No criticism, but just a .... feeling.

My recommendation: IF YOU are really prepared to use a service that charges money AND IF you have some experience to compare, give it a try. Test the free of charge version (not synching, only valid for ONE machine). Get a feeling for the GUI and the way it works and decide for yourself. You are about to offer your inner self to a company. Don't, if you don't feel good with it.

Best
Thomas
Berlin, Germany

Tuxman:
Is there any free and secure LastPass alternative that works as well with Firefox as KeePass does?

Renegade:
Way back when I worked for ESTsoft, their password manager (ALPass) was pretty darn good, and I used that.

ALPass introduced a cloud version where you could sign in to your ALPass account from anywhere.

Now... I'm dead set against any kind of cloud solution for anything that doesn't really need to be there. However, the way it is done with ALPass is good.

Encryption is done client side with nothing stored unencrypted in the cloud. ESTsoft had no power to recover your passwords if you lost your master password. This is absolutely the right thing to do for any kind of cloud password storage.

http://www.altools.com/ALTools/ALPass.aspx

I don't think that ESTsoft is really updating it much for the non-Korean market though. It's a shame. They make good stuff.

4wd:
And just for anyone that would like to try Dashlane, AppSumo currently has 1 year of Dashlane Premium for free providing you're a new user.

Via OzBargain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version