topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday April 15, 2024, 10:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Android: recommend form-filler/pasword manager, please?  (Read 11069 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
All my passwords start in KeePass, and I use KeePassDroid on Android.  This works well enough, probably because I also run Clipper+ , but I'd quite like to have an automatic form-filler like RoboForm - preferably without having to pay an annual subscription...  Any suggestions, please?

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Android: recommend form-filler/pasword manager, please?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 07:42 AM »
I use KeePassDroid too and I really try to avoid using it because it's such a time-consuming process to get a password out of it. Most of the problem is that my kdbx file has an extremely long password, which is annoying to type on a phone, but then you have to find the entry you want to use, switch apps, copy, paste, etc.

I'm following this topic to see if anyone comes up with anything!

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 07:57 AM »
I use LastPass on my desktop, my laptop, and my two Android devices (tablet and phone).  It's free for use on computers, but to use it on devices requires a Premium subscription of $12/yr.  Though there are occasional hiccups on my Android devices, on the whole it works well and, IMHO, it's well worth the $12/yr.  A couple of years ago, I gave 1Password a try, but it didn't import my passwords all that well from LastPass, and it wouldn't work with my primary browser, Pale Moon, nor with the old version of Opera (12.17).  So I went back to using LastPass.

I haven't used Dashlane, indeed, I hadn't heard of it until the SwiftKey keyboard I use and love (on my tablet and phone) proposed possible integration with Dashlane.  I didn't try it out, since it was more expensive than LastPass.  (I think SwiftKey is looking into possible integration with several password managers, including LastPass, but all this is just at the "proposed" stage.  The only one available for actual testing with SwiftKey at the moment is Dashlane.)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 03:28 PM »
All my passwords start in KeePass, and I use KeePassDroid on Android.  This works well enough, probably because I also run Clipper+ , but I'd quite like to have an automatic form-filler like RoboForm - preferably without having to pay an annual subscription...  Any suggestions, please?

I kindly submit for your consideration Sticky Password. You can buy a lifetime license half-price here.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 04:16 PM »
Thanks, folks; currently trialling Sticky Password, special thanks to Innuendo.  SP for Android is slightly odd, because it forces you to set up an online account.  Normally I'd bale out at that point, expecting virtual hands palpating my wallet, but they say it's free, so I persevered.  The very next question is enable or disable the online account!  I chose the latter, partly for trial, and because I can sync by other means (I hope). Strange way of doing things.

I also dug around in their FAQ:
Which browsers do you support on mobile devices? (Android)
Due to the respective vendor's policies (legal restrictions) it is currently not possible for us to make autofill working on default mobile browsers (Safari for iOS and Chrome for Android). We simply are legally not allowed to put any add-ons or plugins there. So that is a reason for having our own embedded Sticky browser in the application. Its not that convenient as on desktop where we have plugins for all the most popular browsers, but its an option reflecting the legal rules.

The other option is to use the floating window and copy&paste the credentials (login and password) into the respective fields. Floating window can be used generally with any mobile application as its floating above it. We already have some further ideas of how to make the workflow here a bit more convenient. These ideas will be implemented in next builds.

Then there are 3rd party browsers like for example Dolphin for Android - for these we are considering (as there are no restrictive legal boundaries for us) to create an autofill add-on.
What I really wanted was a password keeper that can automatically fill forms.  From that, it seems that's not universally possible owing to restrictions built into the OS.  Sigh.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 04:28 PM »
I use KeePassDroid too and I really try to avoid using it because it's such a time-consuming process to get a password out of it.
I know exactly what you mean.  Try Sticky Password, per Innuendo's suggestion.  It can be set up to have a floating window with userID and password fields, and using it is  much less fuss.  However, data is sent via the Android clipboard, which is some level of security breach in itself, more so if you use a clipboard manager like Clipper+.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 06:57 PM »
What I really wanted was a password keeper that can automatically fill forms.  From that, it seems that's not universally possible owing to restrictions built into the OS.  Sigh.

The floating windows do work pretty well and I seem to remember there being Sticky Password listed in the list of plugins inside Dolphin....

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 08:33 PM »
I recommend LastPass. It's worth the $12/year subscription.

TomD101

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 02:34 PM »
Hello all,
I contributed a short impression about Dashlane in the following thread under General Discussion:
https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=41048
Won't repeat it here, but be aware, that it is NOT answering specific questions. But if works with Android quite well - as far as I put it to use.
Best
Thomas
Berlin, Germany
The more things stay, the more they change the sane.