topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: BumpTop  (Read 10348 times)

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
BumpTop
« on: June 22, 2006, 05:38 AM »
In case anyone missed this on LifeHacker yesterday, it's well-worth a look: http://lifehacker.co...documents-182465.php

And then there's the hip-hop version!: http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=oUVpSY4eBCc

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BumpTop
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 08:08 AM »
Pretty cool looking stuff.  Reminds me somewhat of Looking Glass, originally by Sun, now OSS.
Sorry, don't have a link in my pocket  :-[
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 01:47 PM »
Very good, an interesting way of interaction, as mentioned in the link, it somewhat resembles the Multi-touch screen interface demonstration.
Still, in my opinion, the latter one it better conceibed.
Truth is, BumpTop might be quite close, it's not as "irealistic" as multi-touch screen interface.

[edit]I've just seen the "hip-hop version"  ;D ;D ;D [/edit]

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 12:45 AM »
Fantastic stuff! Dug the hip-hop version. :D

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 01:15 AM »
very cool - and completely useless as a real gui in my opinion.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 01:44 AM »
Probably so, though I wouldn't like to truly judge it before I could try it out. I definitely think the previously mentioned touch-screen UI had more promise. I think perhaps the fundamental flaw in logic here is assigning too much value to the physical manipulation, positioning and other cues of physical organization. Or perhaps more specifically in not recognizing what analogs (or replacements/enhancements) there might already exist in UI's for these functions.

So it's cool research but yes we have yet to see a truly usable/useful 3D GUI that actually enhances productivity rather than just providing eyecandy. Is it possible?

- Oshyan

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 03:26 AM »
I would say it's completely useless as it is right now. But, with some alterations and in combination with the multi-touch screen, it might even improve it's interface.

Notice that in the end, the photographs and web page manipulation is quite impressive, easy, fast and intuitive. On the other hand, on the multi-touch screen video, the while the photographs manipulation is the most interesting part (for me), the photographs are al spread around the screen, with no organization. In that situation, it might be handy to have the pile method.

As for the other features (phisicly realistic colisions, snap to the wall, pile on the air, etc.), i couldn't care less for them ;)

NoWhereMan

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 05:17 AM »
cool, but what I like of my desktop is it doesn't matter how much stuff is there, is always sorted in rows and cols
this take the disorder of my real desktop on my *virtual* desktop and that's so bad :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 05:17 AM »
exactly my thoughts nowhereman - the very last thing i want on my computer screen is to reproduce the mess of my real desk!

dspelley

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • But it's a dry heat.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 10:26 PM »
After signing up for the beta what seems like a couple of years ago, the other day I received an invitation to the Bumptop beta and an invite code. I recall signing up for the beta after seeing a demo of the software on www.ted.com.

Looking at it now - I just don't get it. My desktop is usually pretty spartan - not much on it. That means that the Bumptop desktop doesn't have much on it, and there's not much to do. It seems like the only way to use all of the file manipulation and organization functions is to take a bunch of files out of my semi-carefully arranged folder structure, and dump them all onto the desktop.

Why would I want to do that?  I don't get it.
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
--- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 06:23 AM »
One problem with BumpTop is the way they're distributing it.

The free download is so feature-limited that you can't give it an adequate try out. Not allowing the "flipping" feature, and only giving you two notes renders the free version almost completely useless.

They really need to provide a full featured 30-day evaluation since it would take you that long to see if BumpTop worked for you. And people clever enough to develop a product like this already know that.

So why aren't they doing it this way?

I'm guessing because most people play will with it for a few hours and then get rid of it. 8)

ljbirns

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 07:09 PM »
Katherine Boehert, ( Walt Mossberg assistant )  in todays  WSJ

http://online.wsj.co..._us_personal_journal
Lew

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 10:05 PM »
I think it would be very very usefull if they can pull that memory usage down. I think it uses upto 120 mb. Once it feels like it is not there I am sure people will find it useful. I personally wont use it now because I run alot of opengl applications and would not want this to interfere but later I might use it.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:07 PM by kartal »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 10:09 PM »
When I press on my lcd screen hard enough, it makes similar color patterns as well :)

Very good, an interesting way of interaction, as mentioned in the link, it somewhat resembles the Multi-touch screen interface demonstration.
Still, in my opinion, the latter one it better conceibed.
Truth is, BumpTop might be quite close, it's not as "irealistic" as multi-touch screen interface.

[edit]I've just seen the "hip-hop version"  ;D ;D ;D [/edit]
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:11 PM by kartal »