topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Audio clipping in MP4 and MP3  (Read 4036 times)

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Audio clipping in MP4 and MP3
« on: May 30, 2015, 01:48 AM »
Hi all.

I downloaded a video by YTD, I got a MP4 file, and then I opened it by Audacity. The sound was almost all clipped. Almost all the spectrum was cutted/flattened at its edges.

Then, using YTD again, I converted the file in MP3 lowering the volume. Then I was going to open the MP3 by Audacity again.
It was only an extreme try, a curiosity, no hope to see a different result. In fact it's impossible that a clipped sound can magically turn into a regular sound, right?

Well, when I opened the MP3 by Audacity, I realized that the sound was no longer clipped. It was fine, it was whole.

How may it be explained?
"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Audio clipping in MP4 and MP3
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 06:00 AM »

Guessing - maybe in the export settings of YTD, there is on the audio "allow clipping". Because that is there on the audacity side when you are exceeding some sound thresholds.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 10:25 AM »
or maybe the converter in your Audacity's default setting is "Normalize Gain":

2015-05-31_172220.gif

Joe Hone

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 09:55 PM »
Almost all the spectrum was cutted/flattened at its edges.

The cutted/flattened edges you mention are the visual waveforms that have been hardwall/brickwall limited. The "normalize" function Curt mentions is a preset limiter. When music is produced at that fine line just below clipping, any number of variables with your system might boost the signal just enough to exceed that line and cause audible clipping. As for your fix re the clipping, I produce for radio and have to leave about -5db headroom on the radio shows or else some stations run into problems with their download/playback/upload or broadcast systems boosting the signal and causing clipping. The -5db leaves plenty of room to compensate for that. You did the same by lowering the audio on the YTD audio - got it far enough away from clipping that Audacity could then manipulate the sound to your satisfaction. I think you'll only have clipping where the audio is been mastered at those extreme levels.

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 12:42 AM »
Curt, where is that window? I can't find it.
"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 03:13 PM »
The cutted/flattened edges you mention are the visual waveforms that have been hardwall/brickwall limited. The "normalize" function Curt mentions is a preset limiter. When music is produced at that fine line just below clipping, any number of variables with your system might boost the signal just enough to exceed that line and cause audible clipping. As for your fix re the clipping, I produce for radio and have to leave about -5db headroom on the radio shows or else some stations run into problems with their download/playback/upload or broadcast systems boosting the signal and causing clipping. The -5db leaves plenty of room to compensate for that. You did the same by lowering the audio on the YTD audio - got it far enough away from clipping that Audacity could then manipulate the sound to your satisfaction. I think you'll only have clipping where the audio is been mastered at those extreme levels.

that was interesting :up:
Tom