ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft "Hyperlapse" tech is finally available to play with

<< < (3/5) > >>

4wd:
^ I enjoyed that drive :Thmbsup:-tomos (May 19, 2015, 04:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, now that I've got a camera that can do FHD I'm thinking I might have to do it all again  :D

Unfortunately the various park authorities have closed/repositioned the more interesting tracks since I started 4wding more than 30 years ago.

And very apt music :-)
--- End quote ---

It was a choice between B.T.O. or Jethro Tull's 4.W.D. ;)

tomos:
That vimeo video is really incredible.  I'd be curious how difficult it was to get it to look like that, and what kind of equipment was used.  Looks amazing.
-superboyac (May 18, 2015, 09:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I came across this description:
I had to import and customize the NEF files before I
equalized them with the great LR-TIMELAPSE from Gunther Wegner. (http://www.lrtimelapse.com/)
(Adobe Lightroom is necessary)
The observed jpeg had then to be droped into virtual dub and were rendered as avi.
When this was done, I had to stabilize the sequences manually frame by frame (AE motion tracker) and rendered each of them in 3 different sizes: (4928x3264 pixels, 1920x1080 pixels, 1024x768 pixels)
Last but not least the snippets were edited fitting to the beautiful title "Diving Through The Blue" by the respectable composer and musician Valentin Boomes.
--- End quote ---
from this video -
https://vimeo.com/50238512

Tbh I dont understand half of that description - but it does sound like a lot of work. Surprised the stabilizing has to be done manually. Also not sure what exactly the LR-Timelapse software does.

They seem to generally use full-frame cameras - I guess if you're going to put all that work in, you may as well start with a quality image.

4wd:
Been playing a bit more with Hyperlapse, (FHD up and down Billy Goat Bluff this time), and while it may produce good results it has some drawbacks, (AFAIAC), compared to increasing the playback rate in a NLE.

- Subtitles can't be burnt in to the source video because they will be effectively removed by Hyperlapse due to the way it works.  This means some tedious editing of external subtitles to get timing correct - the following two points make using external subtitles almost impossible.
- Instead of a constant rate increase you get a rather slow/fast effect, slow where the camera is panning, fast where it isn't - which can be quite annoying sometimes.
- The big one is you can't set a specific duration of the video, you only have a choice of x2-x25 which usually doesn't give the time that it should be.  This makes it very hard to match it up to an audio track.  Vegas I can at least specify how long the video is going to be down to a specific frame.

superboyac:
That vimeo video is really incredible.  I'd be curious how difficult it was to get it to look like that, and what kind of equipment was used.  Looks amazing.
-superboyac (May 18, 2015, 09:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I came across this description:
I had to import and customize the NEF files before I
equalized them with the great LR-TIMELAPSE from Gunther Wegner. (http://www.lrtimelapse.com/)
(Adobe Lightroom is necessary)
The observed jpeg had then to be droped into virtual dub and were rendered as avi.
When this was done, I had to stabilize the sequences manually frame by frame (AE motion tracker) and rendered each of them in 3 different sizes: (4928x3264 pixels, 1920x1080 pixels, 1024x768 pixels)
Last but not least the snippets were edited fitting to the beautiful title "Diving Through The Blue" by the respectable composer and musician Valentin Boomes.
--- End quote ---
from this video -
https://vimeo.com/50238512

Tbh I dont understand half of that description - but it does sound like a lot of work. Surprised the stabilizing has to be done manually. Also not sure what exactly the LR-Timelapse software does.

They seem to generally use full-frame cameras - I guess if you're going to put all that work in, you may as well start with a quality image.
-tomos (June 18, 2015, 04:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
boy, it really is a lot of manual work.  i think i was assuming it was more automated.   I don't know what to think now...if there is that much work required, to me it seems like regular video editing.  So now I'm underwhelmed by the hyperlapse software.

JavaJones:
Uh, perhaps I should note that the term "hyperlapse" is a *general* word, it's not Microsoft's name for the software. The video you link above with all those complicated steps is *not* using Microsoft's software. It is, in fact, a description of *exactly* the kind of in-depth, laborious work that Microsoft's research project was trying to avoid and, to some degree, it succeeds in doing so, although the results are certainly less controllable (but also a helluvalot more automated; 75% or more of those steps are unnecessary with Microsoft's app).

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version