topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Delete or cut and paste selected region  (Read 4141 times)

chiotteaspam

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Delete or cut and paste selected region
« on: May 08, 2015, 01:20 AM »
Hi,

Is it possible to delete (DEL key) or cut and paste (CTRL+Q and CTRL+V) selected region in the editor ? It's possible to copy and paste but not further. I have to open an external editor to do such functions and I use it very often to move parts of the image.

Thank you for your reponse.

Best regards,

MS

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Delete or cut and paste selected region
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 02:17 AM »
To Copy:
  • Select the region you are interested in.
  • Ctrl+C will copy that region to the clipboard, and you can paste it wherever you want, from the Clipboard.

To Delete:
  • Select the region you are interested in.
  • Note: You cannot delete the selected area using the Delete key.
  • You can effectively delete it by obscuring it or completely overwriting the selected area with one of the many options - for example (say), overlay it with a note, or a blank area for a note, or use one of the selections from the SpecialFX1 or SpecialFX2 ("Patch text/contents of selected region with background" is pretty nifty.)
  • You could also delete it by overlaying it with another image clipped from somewhere else.

If you are making multiple copies - (say) each one a different area of an image - for pasting elsewhere later, then consider using CHS (Clipboard Help & Spell) as an aid in this. CHS will store and display all the clips on demand, for you to choose for subsequent pasting at a later time/date.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:50 AM by IainB, Reason: Minor edits. »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 03:32 AM »
@IainB :up:

hi chiotteaspam -
generally, in image editors, if you delete, it replaces the area with the background colour - or, in some circumstances, to transparency.
Screenshot Captor (SC) does not (really) have the concept of background colour. Hence the approach as described by IainB.

as IainB says, there is though the menu option:
SpecialFX2 >Patch ... selected region with background
which guesses the background colour and uses that.
I find it mostly works as expected, but sometimes with unusual results:

Screenshot - 2015-05-08 , 10_24_28.png

here it uses the titlebar and menu colours correctly:

Screenshot - 2015-05-08 , 10_36_27.png

and btw, welocme to donationcoder !
Tom
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 03:37 AM by tomos »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 04:25 AM »
Another trick is to select the region you want to delete and choose Edit -> Select -> Invert Selection.  Then hit the "Crop" button.  This will fill the selected region with Canvas background color (default is white set in "More Interface Options" tab).

Perhaps I should add an option to "delete" the selected region and make it background canvas color or transparent (or let user select the color to fill with?)

What I could do is change the "Patch" command to show a dialog giving the user choice of filling with "transparent", a solid color, or the "smart" patch that it does now -- this would have the advantage of supporting more options for smart patching in the future..
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 04:33 AM by mouser »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 04:36 AM »
^ ah, so I was wrong saying that it doesnt have the concept of background colour.

Perhaps I should add an option to "delete" the selected region and make it background canvas color or transparent (or let user select the color to fill with?)
-
some sort of a delete/fill option would be eaiser to figure out than the above options - let user select the color would be even better :up:
Tom