ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

uBlock ad blocker and unwanted behavior

<< < (3/5) > >>

wraith808:
I'm still confused, however.  I never installed ublock origin from what I remember.
-wraith808 (May 08, 2015, 01:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

The original developer of uBlock (gorhill) transferred control of the uBlock repo to the new project maintainer, but did not transfer the Chrome store version. See https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/uBlock/commit/6850fa0a262b8772a502c92750fe7a5bf74515f0#commitcomment-10530255

As mentioned in that comment thread, gorhill intended from the start to fork uBlock, creating his own version which he would only work on for the few features he wanted.  Since he kept the Chrome store version, I assume that if that's where you installed your Chrome extension from, any updates gorhill made to it based on the uBlock Origin 'fork' would be installed into your browser whenever Chrome decided to pull the update from the store.

In other words:

* gorhill published uBlock on the Chrome store
* you installed uBlock from there
* gorhill changed the software at that Chrome store extension site to be uBlock origin
* your chrome browser updated your extension to uBlock origin-mwb1100 (May 09, 2015, 01:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I understand this.  I just never knew until now that it updated silently and with no notice.  That's the part that is the problem.  Just because you OK an extension once, doesn't mean you should have to sign up in perpetuity.

I've been using uBlock for my ad blocker in Chrome for a while.  The memory footprint and cpu usage is a lot less than adblock plus, and it works well.  But recently, they added something where they block urls in requested popups by killing the tab.  It opens up the tab, then kills it.  And it's very hard to disable if you actually *want* to go to the link without disabling it for that entire domain.  So you end up not being able to click in e-mails to go to the location, even if you don't care- without potentially disabling it for those ones that directly use that domain.

Does anyone know how to disable the killing of tabs with uBlock?  I haven't been able to find it...
-wraith808 (May 08, 2015, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

so, do you (or anyone else?) think that ublock is preferable to ublock origin?
(I mean preferable in terms of how it works.)
-tomos (May 12, 2015, 04:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

ublock origin was closing tabs and such after opening them with no indication half the time, and no way to turn off the functionality other than to opt out for the entire domain.  That's what started this whole thread.  ublock doesn't have that behavior.  they also seem to work the same on the sites that I visit.

ublock for me.

tomos:
ublock origin was closing tabs and such after opening them with no indication half the time, and no way to turn off the functionality other than to opt out for the entire domain.  That's what started this whole thread.  ublock doesn't have that behavior.  they also seem to work the same on the sites that I visit.

ublock for me.
-wraith808 (May 12, 2015, 07:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

that's my answer :)
thanks very much wraith :up:

Innuendo:
I understand this.  I just never knew until now that it updated silently and with no notice.  That's the part that is the problem.  Just because you OK an extension once, doesn't mean you should have to sign up in perpetuity.
--- End quote ---

If you don't want software on your system silently updating without your permission then you should not be using Chrome at all. :)

wraith808:
I understand this.  I just never knew until now that it updated silently and with no notice.  That's the part that is the problem.  Just because you OK an extension once, doesn't mean you should have to sign up in perpetuity.
--- End quote ---

If you don't want software on your system silently updating without your permission then you should not be using Chrome at all. :)
-Innuendo (May 13, 2015, 07:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's not software.  *sigh*

Chrome used to notify you when extensions were updated.  And disabled their access until you re-enabled them.  That's the responsible thing to do.

I know that chrome auto-updates when you restart, which I why I don't restart very often.  I use it because I have to.  But that works.  It notifies me that it hasn't been updated because I haven't restarted in a while.  And then after checking, I do.

But when there's no way to know if a third party has been co-opted (it has happened in the past), then that's irresponsible.  And I'm not even notified, nor are any blocks put in the place on possible malicious updates?  You can't see why I'm calling it out?  That's *not* a concern to anyone else?

Chrome is becoming the modern day IE, and google is to a large part not being called on that.  Chrome specific sites- many pushed by google themselves instead of adhering to standards- are becoming all too real.  And they're being pushed to acceptance not just by corporate contracts, but by the standard user at this point.

A bit more to add to this... just today, I received a message that extension chrome-extension://mfgdmpfihlmdekaclngibpjhdebndhdj/ wanted to access my location.  This points out two things:
1. They are able to do what I am asking still, and
2. A non-advanced user wouldn't even know to enable developer mode to get the id to know what was being asked.  How is that right?

Deozaan:
I believe that Chrome updates extensions similarly to how Android updates apps: If it doesn't require any new permissions, it silently updates. If the new version requires new permissions that you haven't previously granted it, it still updates it, but disables it until you explicitly give the OK.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version