ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Utility to handle files/folders with illegal characters

(1/5) > >>

def:
A Windows utility to rename and/or delete files/folders with illegal characters in their names (e.g. question marks etc.). On the internet, I've mostly found clumsy workarounds such as setting up a Linux VM, trying chkdsk /f, or even trying 8.3 names (if they are not disabled).

The only dedicated tool I have found in a quick web search is DelinvFile (have not tried it myself) which costs $31.95 (USD) and which seemingly offers to at least delete such files/folders (not sure about renaming).

Interesting challenge?

MilesAhead:
Have you tried Unlocker

I'm just wondering how the files get created with illegal names in the first place.  It seems strange.

def:
Have you tried Unlocker-MilesAhead (May 07, 2015, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Just tried it. Doesn't work ("no locking handle found").

I'm just wondering how the files get created with illegal names in the first place.  It seems strange.-MilesAhead (May 07, 2015, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
In my case it's a file and a folder on a USB drive, from a time when I experimented with Linux. At this time I only use Windows, thus I recognize how tedious such a file can be...

4wd:
Possibly Powershell?

Remove Invalid Characters from File Names

Though the problem remains of how to get the file from the filesystem before fixing it.

MilesAhead:
Possibly Powershell?

Remove Invalid Characters from File Names

Though the problem remains of how to get the file from the filesystem before fixing it.
-4wd (May 08, 2015, 01:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

There are Linux win32 utilities that have bash shell with ls and rm commands.  I haven't used it in some time.  I'm not sure which is the latest or most friendly to Windows newer than XP.  Once the bash shell is running just use rm command to remove files and/or folders

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-rm-a-folder-and-contents/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version