ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

MS Project questions

<< < (5/6) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
"If the objective is to end up with a Gantt chart to stick into someone's PowerPoint presentation, there might be other (lot more user-friendly) options out there and the end user may never know (or need to know) that it wasn't produced in MS Project.

I used RationalPlan some time ago, which I found a lot simpler and easier to use than MS Project (though not for presentational purposes but for actual project planning).

It seems to have got a bit more expensive since I bought it, but the Linux version is free. And there might be other free sofware (possibly even PPT add-ons) that can create a nice-looking Gantt chart."

I find this kind of advice interesting, based on the small similarities I once encountered similar to his situation, but it depends if you get an incoming file already in project format and if his bosses need some kind of "killer feature" only available in MS - P.

dr_andus:
I find this kind of advice interesting, based on the small similarities I once encountered similar to his situation, but it depends if you get an incoming file already in project format and if his bosses need some kind of "killer feature" only available in MS - P.
-TaoPhoenix (May 23, 2015, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sure, but aside the killer feature scenario, software like RationalPlan can import/export MS Project file format.

TaoPhoenix:
-TaoPhoenix (May 23, 2015, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sure, but aside the killer feature scenario, software like RationalPlan can import/export MS Project file format.
-dr_andus (May 23, 2015, 05:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perfect crisp tip!

I wonder what that could have meant to me back in the day when I had my whatever-it-was assignment!

IainB:
Maybe we could consider whether it might be useful and worthwhile pooling our collective knowledge of computerised project management tools and training in same, and documenting it somehow in this site?
However, I'm not sure whether - in that way - expanding the scope of purpose for this site would necessarily be a good idea.

TaoPhoenix:
Maybe we could consider whether it might be useful and worthwhile pooling our collective knowledge of computerised project management tools and training in same, and documenting it somehow in this site?
However, I'm not sure whether - in that way - expanding the scope of purpose for this site would necessarily be a good idea.
-IainB (May 23, 2015, 09:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know either. That sounds like a ... project!
Sometimes the quick tips address specific little needs. You seem to be worried about scope creep on those, but I'm also not sure where the middle grounds are between "too many little disjointed tips" and "let's make a 50 page manual".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version