ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Technology moving anxiety...

<< < (3/3)

Renegade:
Unless I take it outside (when I'm at home) for a smoke instead of my tablet, then it's news and "Dice Wars".
-Renegade (May 04, 2015, 08:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

While for the most part I stick with my now 0 nicotine eCig, I do still occasionally (at the end of ruff days...) sneak out for one of the wife's cigarettes. At which point the absolute last thing I want to even see is anything electronic...unless we're about to play how high will this MF'er bounce.. :D
-Stoic Joker (May 05, 2015, 06:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

You are far better than me in that area (I'm pathetic). I'm planning to get my eCig fired up again and quit over the long journey to Canada. God only knows if I'll be able to do it. I've been prepping for months now on organic tobacco cigs. I suck at quitting...

Once in a while during the day, I'll read an actual paper book, but rarely. I smoke fast, and can get through a few news articles or a game or two of Dice Wars or Drisk (on the tablet) while I smoke. Books aren't the same. Or not the ones I read anyways. I need a protracted period to read. A few minutes doesn't cut it.

Renegade:
Indeed ... Which is precisely why I don't want to be bothered with any electronics while I'm...mellowing.. ;)
-Stoic Joker (May 05, 2015, 10:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think this is a relatively common theme among some of us that are deeply involved in technology --- a hatred for it. Or a disdain, or rejection, or whatever anyone wants to call it.

I was at a Bitcoin meetup and chatting with a few new people that I'd just met. I'd mentioned some of my plans that one might expect from some kind of hippie, and one fellow jumped in very quickly, "Let me guess. You work in software or IT, right?"

It's almost as if for some people, working in tech will turn you into some kind of variant of Ted Kaczynski with a radical anti-tech aversion. (To one degree or another.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version