topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Technology moving anxiety...  (Read 6222 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Technology moving anxiety...
« on: May 04, 2015, 10:15 AM »
We're moving overseas, and blowing out everything in the house.

Today I got rid of my iMac because the box is 13 cm in circumference too large to ship...  :wallbash:

And got rid of 1 monitor.

So I'm down to 2 monitors from 4, and can't use Synergy to flip my mouse over onto the Mac.

It feels weird.

And shortly I'm going to have to live off of my laptop for a month... with 1 screen... and a small keyboard... for a month...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Technology moving anxiety...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 10:24 AM »
well, you're moving?  that's a good thing?

I do feel you, however.  I just moved, and it was pretty stressful technology wise- and it was only a mile!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:35 AM »
I just moved, and it was pretty stressful technology wise- and it was only a mile!

Yes - it's like, "Oh, wait... I'm going to be without an Internet connection for **HOW LONG**???"

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 10:39 AM »
I just moved, and it was pretty stressful technology wise- and it was only a mile!

Yes - it's like, "Oh, wait... I'm going to be without an Internet connection for **HOW LONG**???"

Comcast screwed up the dates for the move, and I was so desperate that I actually tried to tap into someone else's modem using the backdoor comcast puts into all of its modems, when I said that I'd never do that.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 04:26 PM »

rather ironic considering what you just wrote here ;D ;D ;D

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 07:55 PM »

I would not be without internet for more than 24 hours, even if I had no internet, as long as I have a laptop and know where in my neighborhood has free wifi. ;)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 08:39 PM »

rather ironic considering what you just wrote here ;D ;D ;D

Heh! True. For me, I don't need to be "connected" when I'm out of the house. It's just at home that I used the Internet. My phone is for occasional calls and that's about it. Unless I take it outside (when I'm at home) for a smoke instead of my tablet, then it's news and "Dice Wars". :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 06:51 AM »
Unless I take it outside (when I'm at home) for a smoke instead of my tablet, then it's news and "Dice Wars".

While for the most part I stick with my now 0 nicotine eCig, I do still occasionally (at the end of ruff days...) sneak out for one of the wife's cigarettes. At which point the absolute last thing I want to even see is anything electronic...unless we're about to play how high will this MF'er bounce.. :D

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 07:06 AM »
While for the most part I stick with my now 0 nicotine eCig, I do still occasionally (at the end of ruff days...) sneak out for one of the wife's cigarettes. At which point the absolute last thing I want to even see is anything electronic...unless we're about to play how high will this MF'er bounce.. :D
-Stoic Joker (May 05, 2015, 06:51 AM)
Pardon me for saying so but I think you may have the wrong idea. Aren't your wife's cigarettes meant to get you high, not elevate the device?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 10:35 AM »
Pardon me for saying so but I think you may have the wrong idea. Aren't your wife's cigarettes meant to get you high, not elevate the device?
-cranioscopical (May 05, 2015, 07:06 AM)

Indeed ... Which is precisely why I don't want to be bothered with any electronics while I'm...mellowing.. ;)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 10:43 AM »
Unless I take it outside (when I'm at home) for a smoke instead of my tablet, then it's news and "Dice Wars".

You are far better than me in that area (I'm pathetic). I'm planning to get my eCig fired up again and quit over the long journey to Canada. God only knows if I'll be able to do it. I've been prepping for months now on organic tobacco cigs. I suck at quitting...

Once in a while during the day, I'll read an actual paper book, but rarely. I smoke fast, and can get through a few news articles or a game or two of Dice Wars or Drisk (on the tablet) while I smoke. Books aren't the same. Or not the ones I read anyways. I need a protracted period to read. A few minutes doesn't cut it.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 10:48 AM »
Indeed ... Which is precisely why I don't want to be bothered with any electronics while I'm...mellowing.. ;)
-Stoic Joker (May 05, 2015, 10:35 AM)

I think this is a relatively common theme among some of us that are deeply involved in technology --- a hatred for it. Or a disdain, or rejection, or whatever anyone wants to call it.

I was at a Bitcoin meetup and chatting with a few new people that I'd just met. I'd mentioned some of my plans that one might expect from some kind of hippie, and one fellow jumped in very quickly, "Let me guess. You work in software or IT, right?"

It's almost as if for some people, working in tech will turn you into some kind of variant of Ted Kaczynski with a radical anti-tech aversion. (To one degree or another.)