ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ReactOS

(1/3) > >>

Josh:
I have been following this OS for quite some time and it has really come a long way, granted it is still far off from being ready for daily use. Here is the description from the ReactOS homepage ( http://www.reactos.org )

The ReactOS®  project is dedicated to making Free Software available to everyone by providing a ground-up implementation of a Microsoft Windows® XP compatible operating system. ReactOS aims to achieve complete binary compatibility with both applications and device drivers meant for NT and XP operating systems, by using a similar architecture and providing a complete and equivalent public interface.

Although Free Software advocates agree that free software operating systems improve the state of the art by fostering competition, ReactOS has practical benefit for others, too; ReactOS is the most complete working model of a Windows® like operating system available. Consequently, working programmers will learn a great deal by studying ReactOS source code and even participating in ReactOS development.

ReactOS components are growing more and more compatibile with equivalent, closed source alternatives, but ReactOS doesn't simply stop at an arbitrary line in the sand. ReactOS has and will continue to incorporate new versions of the Win32 API and so will track and sometimes even define the state of the art in operating system technology. Rather than using current technology as a limit on our activities, we are constantly incorporating features from newer versions as well.

In short, ReactOS is aiming to run your applications and use your hardware! Finally, a FOSS operating system for everyone

--- End quote ---

Check it out, what do you think?

KenR:
Well, I never like to admit my ignorance, but I have never even heard of it. Won't Microsoft go after them for ..... something?

Ken

Carol Haynes:
Interesting idea. Not sure about MS's reaction though.

Having said that Wine for Linux has existed for a long time and really aims to do similar things.

(actually I have just downloaded the VMWare ready to go machine and it is Wine !)

Josh:
ReactOS is under GPL, so I wouldnt think they can do anything unless they find something in the code that violates their copyrights.

Carol Haynes:
Actually ReactOS doesn't do a lot except look a bit like Windows 98. Whenever you try and actually do something it doesn't work!

Pretty much like Windows 98 then ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version