topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: MS-DOS Player for Win32-x64  (Read 7937 times)

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
MS-DOS Player for Win32-x64
« on: April 29, 2015, 06:36 PM »
I actually discovered this one very recently, and thought that maybe it can come handy to someone.
It's basically an MS-DOS emulator that let you run on the fly 16bit executables on a 64bit Windows machine, without creating a separate environment (like when using DOSBox, or QEMU, etc.).
Various versions are included, emulating a 486, 286 or 086 CPUs (the simpler the CPU, the faster the execution).

141204-4.png

MS-DOS Player for Win32-x64, by Takeda Toshiya

If you feel adventurous, on the websites there are a number of other emulators, for example one for CP/M.  :)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MS-DOS Player for Win32-x64
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 06:53 AM »
Nice find :Thmbsup:.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 08:23 AM »
If you feel adventurous, on the websites there are a number of other emulators, for example one for CP/M:)
A CP/M emulator? My first serious taste of the command prompt that, arguably, is still with us now? Brilliant! Let me at it!   :greenclp:

[Just because I have the urge to reminisce: my first proper computer job was Z80-based systems that were primarily turnkey word processors but ran CP/M 2.2 if you had the right boot floppy. I got given the push from that job because the -- now defunct -- company decided that a computer department just was never going to be a useful thing to have. The last thing I ever did there, before they told me I was leaving, was recover some valuable but not backed up pharmaceutical research data from a 5.25" floppy disk that had been used by some twit as a coffee mat. I used a pristine new floppy disk, the case from another, a scalpel and a disk sector editor called, if memory serves, DU. First time I ever did the (apparently!) impossible, over 30 years ago, and that's a bug that never really leaves you.]
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 08:34 AM »
a 5.25" floppy disk that had been used by some twit as a coffee mat. I used a pristine new floppy disk, the case from another, a scalpel and a disk sector editor called, if memory serves, DU.

Heh heh.  5 1/4" floppy sounds much easier than trying that surgery on a 3.5" plastic jobber.  :)

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 09:18 AM »
Heh heh.  5 1/4" floppy sounds much easier than trying that surgery on a 3.5" plastic jobber.  :)
I have a boxful of 3.5" disks that are waiting for me to get round either to destroying them or suddenly discovering a use for the things: perhaps I'll give it a try.

I might see if I can find someone with more than the usual complement of fingers to do the scalpel-work, though. :D
-- bests, Tim

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 09:30 AM »
I have a boxful of 3.5" disks that are waiting for me to get round either to destroying them or suddenly discovering a use for the things: perhaps I'll give it a try.

I might see if I can find someone with more than the usual complement of fingers to do the scalpel-work, though. :D

It's weird the stuff you find in drawers.  I had a stack of 10 CD caddies left over from around 1993.  I assumed CD drives would all use caddies so I bought a 10 pack from Computer Shopper.  I think 7 of them were still in the cellophane in 2013.  :)

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 09:35 AM »
It's weird the stuff you find in drawers.  I had a stack of 10 CD caddies left over from around 1993.  I assumed CD drives would all use caddies so I bought a 10 pack from Computer Shopper.  I think 7 of them were still in the cellophane in 2013.  :)
Not quite the same thing, but I keep tripping over the 5-CD changer I used to have in the BBS I ran back in the late 90s. I can't quite bring myself to get shot of it, "just in case" but really... too much nostalgia is probably bad for you. (See previous comment re fingers. ;) )
-- bests, Tim

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 09:56 AM »
Not quite the same thing, but I keep tripping over the 5-CD changer I used to have in the BBS I ran back in the late 90s. I can't quite bring myself to get shot of it, "just in case" but really... too much nostalgia is probably bad for you. (See previous comment re fingers. ;) )

Weird how stuff changes.  A few weeks ago I was trying to tell someone about this online service that was very expensive and only a few hotshots had an account.  I couldn't remember the name CompuServe until about an hour later.  :)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 10:04 AM »
And source is available!  Maybe one day I'll get to poke around in it.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 11:57 AM »
I couldn't remember the name CompuServe until about an hour later.  :)
...and the cost of Compuserve is one of the main reasons (for me, anyway) Fidonet existed. <sigh>
-- bests, Tim

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 12:50 PM »
5 1/4" floppy sounds much easier than trying that surgery on a 3.5" plastic jobber.

I don't like to boast but mine was 8"  :-[

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 01:35 PM »
5 1/4" floppy sounds much easier than trying that surgery on a 3.5" plastic jobber.

I don't like to boast but mine was 8"  :-[

-cranioscopical (April 30, 2015, 12:50 PM)

When you say was I hope nobody took a scissors to it.  :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 04:00 PM »
Bummer!

MSDos.png