ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

MS-DOS Player for Win32-x64

(1/3) > >>

Mark0:
I actually discovered this one very recently, and thought that maybe it can come handy to someone.
It's basically an MS-DOS emulator that let you run on the fly 16bit executables on a 64bit Windows machine, without creating a separate environment (like when using DOSBox, or QEMU, etc.).
Various versions are included, emulating a 486, 286 or 086 CPUs (the simpler the CPU, the faster the execution).

MS-DOS Player for Win32-x64, by Takeda Toshiya

If you feel adventurous, on the websites there are a number of other emulators, for example one for CP/M.  :)

Jibz:
Nice find :Thmbsup:.

oblivion:
If you feel adventurous, on the websites there are a number of other emulators, for example one for CP/M.  :)
-Mark0 (April 29, 2015, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
A CP/M emulator? My first serious taste of the command prompt that, arguably, is still with us now? Brilliant! Let me at it!   :greenclp:

[Just because I have the urge to reminisce: my first proper computer job was Z80-based systems that were primarily turnkey word processors but ran CP/M 2.2 if you had the right boot floppy. I got given the push from that job because the -- now defunct -- company decided that a computer department just was never going to be a useful thing to have. The last thing I ever did there, before they told me I was leaving, was recover some valuable but not backed up pharmaceutical research data from a 5.25" floppy disk that had been used by some twit as a coffee mat. I used a pristine new floppy disk, the case from another, a scalpel and a disk sector editor called, if memory serves, DU. First time I ever did the (apparently!) impossible, over 30 years ago, and that's a bug that never really leaves you.]

MilesAhead:
a 5.25" floppy disk that had been used by some twit as a coffee mat. I used a pristine new floppy disk, the case from another, a scalpel and a disk sector editor called, if memory serves, DU.
-oblivion (April 30, 2015, 08:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Heh heh.  5 1/4" floppy sounds much easier than trying that surgery on a 3.5" plastic jobber.  :)

oblivion:
Heh heh.  5 1/4" floppy sounds much easier than trying that surgery on a 3.5" plastic jobber.  :)
-MilesAhead (April 30, 2015, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
I have a boxful of 3.5" disks that are waiting for me to get round either to destroying them or suddenly discovering a use for the things: perhaps I'll give it a try.

I might see if I can find someone with more than the usual complement of fingers to do the scalpel-work, though. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version