topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday April 15, 2024, 11:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: attempted capture opens web page http://www.www_getwindowinfo.com/  (Read 9138 times)

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So I just downloaded this program to do one thing - (take a screenshot of my dc forum configuration page to ask for help in why I'm not receiving any notifications.)

When I take a screenshot using the Quick Capture Bar, or by hotkey, I get a new tab in Pale Moon with address http://www.www_getwindowinfo.com/

When trying to use a "region" selection, I get a new tab with address www_getwindowinfo (Pale Moon adds the www. and .com after).

If Pale Moon isn't focused, it works OK. But in this case I'm trying to take a screenshot of a webpage.

Help?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
sorry ayryq, not much help here -
but just for the record:
I use Palemoon and am unable to reproduce this.

Windows 7 x64
Palemoon 25.3.2 x64
SC v4.9.6 (I have portable (with default settings) and installed versions)

Tom

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
More information:
I'm using Windows 8 64. Pale Moon 25.3.2 (x86). I switched my default browser to Chrome: Capturing Chrome windows works fine, but (even when Chrome is the default webbrowser) if Pale Moon is the active window it tries to handle this bogus URL.

I have lots of extensions, I'll try to find Pale Moon's safe mode next to see if one of them is the issue.

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK, found a workaround in SC preferences.
Basic Capturing -> Capture Options -> untick "retrieve and store URL string from browser..."

Now it works fine.

Eric

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
how weird!!!
let me look into it.
Can you tell me what the Pale Moon browser exe name is? Is it PaleMoon.exe ?

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm using the 32-bit version for addon compatibility.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe"

edit: I tried it on my other PC, running windows 7 and pale moon 25.1.0 (x86), with the same result (garbage url being opened by browser).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 10:38 AM by ayryq »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm guessing that it's palemoon's doing -- for some reason opening that page when a request is made to get the current url of the browser.

What used to be a very useful function, getting the current url of browser, has lately become one of the many victims of the (often justified) desire by browser makers to be paranoid about security.. So because of a concern that letting a 3rd party get the current url could be a security risk, it's becoming hard to get the current url of browser by a 3rd party tool.  It's a reason that if you are primarily concerned with grabbing web page screenshots and need the urls for them included as meta info, you may need to use a browser addon.

However, i will certainly put palemoon on an exclusion list so that SC does not even attempt to get the browser url any longer.

i wonder if same thing happens with recent firefox screenshots..

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you, glad it's so simple (so long as I don't need that feature!)

Let me know if I can help with further testing.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This possibly related - from the Linkman (Bookmarks) email support -
topic: why Linkman cannot save bookmark per hotkey in Palemoon:
If you press the global Linkman hotkey to get the bookmark from the topmost browser there is nothing Linkman can to to force Palemoon to send the bookmark to Linkman.Some browsers have an API (programmable function) to send a bookmark to another application (for example Firefox). Some other have no API, but we can hack away and read it directly from the browser bar. (for example Chrome). Pale Moon is the sole exception. It offers no API to send a bookmark, and the browser bar uses a Linux style user interface that cannot be accesses by other Windows programs (for privacy reasons?).
(my emphasis)
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
nice find, sure does seem related, tomos.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: attempted capture opens web page http://www.www_getwindowinfo.com/
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 04:47 PM »
Someone just reported this again to me, the symptom is the same, a browser page opening at "http://www.www_getwindowinfo.com" when you try to make a capture involving (palemoon) web browser.

Solution:
Disable the option to get url info from browser during capture (it's option on the "Basic Capturing" -> "Capture Options" tab: "Retrieve and store URL string.."  (UNCHECK THAT).