ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Your Stuff Really Is Breaking Faster Than It Used To

<< < (2/5) > >>

wraith808:
^ I don't think so much because of the upgrades in functionality.  Before... screen?  What screen?  Now, the screen is the main part of the phone.  Consumes more battery, less resilient.  And that 1-2 year max on a phone is pure hyperbole.  I had a phone for 2 years, then passed it down to my wife for two more and my son is now using it.  I only passed it down and didn't keep it because my wife insisted that I get a new phone instead of her.  Then she passed it down because he didn't need a new phone.

What phone is that?  An iphone 4.

SeraphimLabs:
Its not hyperbole if people are constantly replacing their phones because they have to have the latest fashionable new model even though their current one is still fully functional.

So even though it probably could last longer, in practice it will not and it is designed with that in mind.

Its like how cars are litearlly DESIGNED to last 160,000 miles. I have mechanical engineering books with equations that literally let you calculate how long the components will last so that you can shave off costs as much as possible by shortening its service life and then setting a warranty that expires when the designed service life is also used up.

Disposable Society is finally showing itself to be the problem it truely is. Certainly took long enough.

Deozaan:
And that 1-2 year max on a phone is pure hyperbole.-wraith808 (April 26, 2015, 05:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed. I think that image was made more for humor/punditry than for accuracy. I'm currently using a phone (Galaxy Nexusw) that was (nearly) a year old (specs wise) when I bought it in the summer of 2012. So it's approaching 4 years old and it still works. It's sluggish as all get-out, and the battery life is even more abysmal than is standard fare these days, but it still works.

And yeah, more demands on the battery due to larger and higher quality screens means the battery doesn't last as long. Bigger screens means it's easier to break from a fall, and relying on touch input means a cracked screen possibly spells the death of the device's usefulness. Etc.

wraith808:
Its not hyperbole if people are constantly replacing their phones because they have to have the latest fashionable new model even though their current one is still fully functional.
-SeraphimLabs (April 26, 2015, 06:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

The problem with that statement is that it isn't the devices.  It's the people.  Which isn't what this article was about.  So... hyperbole.

SeraphimLabs:
-SeraphimLabs (April 26, 2015, 06:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

The problem with that statement is that it isn't the devices.  It's the people.  Which isn't what this article was about.  So... hyperbole.
-wraith808 (April 26, 2015, 10:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not if after a generation or two the device was redesigned with a 1-2 year upgrade program in mind. If people aren't going to keep the same device for longer than that, why design the device to last longer? Make it last only as long as the average consumer will use it, and never mind the outliers that keep the same device for years on end they are obviously not the people you should be designing for.

Perhaps usage statistics have been kept showing how long on average they last.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version