ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Favorite Windows Desktop Virtualizers?

<< < (2/3) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Pheonix you are using a term that is confusing.  As aryq points out, when people think of "desktop splitters" they think of tools that divide up your screen into areas for docking applications, like jgpaiva's wonderful GridMove tool.

The more common term for the kind of tool you are looking for is a "Virtual Desktop" tool (less commonly called a "multiple desktop" tool).
-mouser (April 23, 2015, 08:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Fair!

The first part of a question ... is to get the right term!

The next part is now that we have this ghacks article "on the stack", then that can help people focus on suggestions that aren't in the article. A couple of them stay to 4 desktops, which I already have, so that narrows a couple of them out, but there's a lot of choices there to think over!

TaoPhoenix:
Okay, Round 1's winner emerged faster than I thought!

(One of) the "right terms" for something crucial for me is something like a "desktop manager" where it lays out little icons for your desktops in a horozontal row and you can just click around on them. Lots of the contenders fizzled out by requiring various hotkeys.

Finestra fizzled out by just having too many strange quirks, one of which crashes the program *while hiding all your data*!? (Because it's stuck on desktop 3 or something when you crashed the program on desktop 1.)
:o

The current winner is Dexpot. So besides being "less quirky" (and dangerous!), another subtle test is how long it takes to draw all those stickies on the far desktop, and Dexpot is pretty fast, even a shade faster than TranDesk. I started with 7 desktops for now but it's pretty easy to just add more. (Though hints of above, if I really need that many open "areas", then my brain will probably be fizzling anyway!

So when people suggest stuff, try to check if it has a nice small horozontal selector like that. I do not need one of the "full screen selectors" at this time because I basically know what's on tabs.

In the new features dept, I didn't have the option to move windows to other desktops back and forth. So that's nice that you get to doing stuff and then realize you mis-sorted your activity collections among the desktops ("Yes, hi Building Superintendent, when is that electrician coming? Great. I'll make a note on my computer...").

Very small quirk - I am going with 7 desktops because the "desktop manager" kinda runs off the edge of my screen and only shows seven. And seven should be enough for a while!!

Also, in the settings/desktop switching/ it's important to me to leave *unchecked* "keep all taskbar buttons visible". I can see how people would want that - I just don't.

So this is a pretty good start!

Innuendo:
I cannot speak to how effective or usable it is, but I seem to recall that if you own an AMD Radeon video card you might want to try out their HydraVision software. I seem to recall it having virtual desktop functionality.

TaoPhoenix:
I cannot speak to how effective or usable it is, but I seem to recall that if you own an AMD Radeon video card you might want to try out their HydraVision software. I seem to recall it having virtual desktop functionality.
-Innuendo (May 03, 2015, 06:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have an Nvidia GeForce (unless Display Adapter is not what I am supposed to be looking at).

Innuendo:
I have an Nvidia GeForce (unless Display Adapter is not what I am supposed to be looking at). -TaoPhoenix (May 03, 2015, 08:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, that's exactly what you were supposed to be looking at. It was worth a shot, I guess...surprised Nvidia doesn't have something similar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version