topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: WordPress Login Fiasco  (Read 3615 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WordPress Login Fiasco
« on: April 11, 2015, 09:45 AM »
Greetings
   This is one of those nagging issues I've been contending with for a while, that has finally come to a head. From the research I've done it's a somewhat common issue that has no real concrete solution. When trying to login to the WordPress admin backend the login keeps looping back to the login screen (yes the password is correct). The reflexively regurgitated answer is to dump the browser cache...which - for whatever reason - has never worked. The issue affects all browsers I have tried (IE, FF, Chrome, and Safari (Yes, I actually got that desperate..)).

The only thing that I have found that had a high rate (98%) of success, was to toggle IE's compatibility mode. Start normal, let it fail, flip on compatibility mode, and it succeeded (Usually..). After this, the site could be put back in normal mode...and the login would work fine. Once again...Usually.

Now the behavior has changed so that the redirect maze which is the WP login just stops at a blank page that after a few (5-10 - sometimes forced) refreshes finally kicks me back to the login page. I suspect that it is something that is being cached on the server side. But this is the only site I deal with that I don't have direct access to the server on. They don't even have a control panel that I (have ever seen) am aware of. I do have FTP access to the site root so I can attempt to force the issue from there...but I'm not entirely sure what the best angle of attack would be.

The site is for the local Humane Society which I donate the time to maintain for them. So the creatures and I would greatly appreciate any assistance we can get with this issue.

Thank you,

Stoic Joker

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WordPress Login Fiasco
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 12:06 PM »
I have seen variations of this issue over the years, many but not all were fixed by one:

A reset of the WP permalinks, just click save without doing anything
Make sure home site and url are the same including the www in WP's general settings

Server side caching on a server that doesn't even seem to have a control panel? You probably need to use phpinfo uploaded via FTP to get some php and other version info. Something like wwww.domain.com/cpanel or serverip:8443 doesn't exist?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WordPress Login Fiasco
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 01:56 PM »
Server side caching on a server that doesn't even seem to have a control panel? You probably need to use phpinfo uploaded via FTP to get some php and other version info. Something like wwww.domain.com/cpanel or serverip:8443 doesn't exist?

Yes, caching is an IIS default, the cpanel is optional. *Shrug* ...The hosting is also donated by another company, and was in place prior to my involvement...so I've no idea what agreements were made.

On the "bright" side...the db crashed shortly after my post (main site displayed db go poof error). So after whoever restarted whatever (or maybe it was automated) I was able to get in just fine (about an hour later).

But thanks for chiming in!