ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help Archive Team save Friendfeed's content

<< < (2/5) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
they used to have rules against "servers" on home connections
-TaoPhoenix (April 06, 2015, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

You would not be running a server. Nobody will be connecting to you. You will be running a grabber that will grab chunks of content off the friendfeed site and then upload it to Archive Team's servers. As long as you have a connection that meets the qualifications spelled out, you can do this on a home internet connection.

I, personally, can not provide any support for running a Warrior, but if anyone runs into any issues, I can ask a member of Archive Team to reply to anyone that needs some help getting it running.
-app103 (April 06, 2015, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm.
Well, please post an intro post with some basic instructions for us and I will try to test if I can run one of these warrior things!

mouser:
The Archive Team project looks pretty cool.  :up:

Deozaan:
Though I am looking into setting up a "Warrior" myself, DC probably isn't the best place to find 1,000 volunteers. You might get better visibility for this using reddit or slashdot or something.

app103:
Though I am looking into setting up a "Warrior" myself, DC probably isn't the best place to find 1,000 volunteers. You might get better visibility for this using reddit or slashdot or something.
-Deozaan (April 06, 2015, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't expect to find all 1000 qualified volunteers here, and there are posts elsewhere, including on Friendfeed, G+, and Frenf.it, and I believe that a member of Archive Team has made a post on Reddit (or is going to).

The Archive Team project looks pretty cool.  :up:
-mouser (April 06, 2015, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you have the time to spare, you should see the action from inside their IRC channel on efnet #humancentifeed It's quite an interesting show, just as it was when they were grabbing Geocities.  ;)

Hmm.
Well, please post an intro post with some basic instructions for us and I will try to test if I can run one of these warrior things!
-TaoPhoenix (April 06, 2015, 12:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Original post above has links to instructions about setting up and running a Warrior. Try following those instructions, first, and if you have any questions or problems, ask them here and I'll try to get someone to answer them.

TaoPhoenix:

" Basic usage
The warrior runs on Windows, OS X and Linux using a virtual machine. You'll need one of:

VirtualBox (recommended)
    VMware workstation/player (free-gratis for personal use)
    See below for alternative virtual machines "

Sorry then, much as I like the spirit, I'll plead "too flighty" to get involved. I've never used a virtual machine before and I just don't have enough other interest to learn it for this!
:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version