ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Busy Body Browsers

(1/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
Now I see that every time I download one of my utilities from my page using chrome browser, after the download is complete I get a reg circle with a minus sign in the middle and this message "yadda yadda is not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous"  A Discard Button is displayed.  The Keep Button is only accessible after hitting a drop down arrow.

I can see how this is going.  If not made by one of the big boys all software will have a scare blurb attached.  They don't even virus scan it now..  Just slam it as "not one of ours."

cranioscopical:
It is a double-edged sword but their edge is the sharper.  That stuff is annoying!   >:(

mouser:
Miles, I had the same reaction -- it's not quite as bad as saying "We refuse to download this software because it will probably give you cancer", but you can see where we are going -- scaring people away from downloading stuff made outside of their channels.
The intentions in this case may be good -- to keep people from installing malware -- but independent developers are going to suffer.

MilesAhead:
Miles, I had the same reaction -- it's not quite as bad as saying "We refuse to download this software because it will probably give you cancer", but you can see where we are going -- scaring people away from downloading stuff made outside of their channels.
The intentions in this case may be good -- to keep people from installing malware -- but independent developers are going to suffer.

-mouser (April 04, 2015, 08:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

You may have a more benign estimation of humanity than I.  I have the tin foil hat patent.  I don't charge licensing fees in order to encourage widespread usage.  :)

MilesAhead:
It is a double-edged sword but their edge is the sharper.  That stuff is annoying!   >:(

-cranioscopical (April 04, 2015, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

I prefer the definition of "swordsman" that has more to do with loving than fighting.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version