ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > DC Website Help and Extras

I have put a "share with facebook" type thing on the pages (temporarily?)..

(1/9) > >>

mouser:
After some well-meaning nagging I have put a facebook share code on the site and forum pages --- you'll see it if you scroll down to bottom of forum pages.  It's powered by getsitecontrol.com.
Personally I find it too much in your face distracting, so I don't want to keep it.  I'm open to adding some very subtle extra button somewhere that pops up a menu, but this one is too much for me.
But I've promised to leave it on for a day so to see if people dislike it as much as me.  Post your thoughts here.

rgdot:
I don't have a problem with it, simple blue bar on the bottom is nothing compared to other things I have seen

KynloStephen66515:
OK, This was nagging by me...for several notable reasons:

1. DonationCoder.com is currently running in 2002 mode.  Yes a lot of people here hate Facebook and Twitter and Google+ and any sort of social media...but even those who do cannot honestly say that they are not a fantastic way to get attention for a website/project.

2. This actually proves my point about mouser always hating change.  Ay time there is an experiment on the site, or something that could work fantastically well...It is always lead with "I will not be keeping this" "I hate this" blah blah blah...mouser...it's 2015...This is the norm.

Think about it this way...On average, people on Facebook have around 300-500 friends...so...if one person reads something on DC right now...unless they can be bothered going through the rigmarole of Copying the URL, going to Facebook/Twitter, pasting it (or shortening it first on Twitter) then posting it...they are simply not going to share it...but with the buttons that are currently on DC now (After I bugged you enough for you to add them!), it is a simple 2 click procedure.  You know how many people use these buttons?  Do you know how many more hits website get because they have sharing functions?  You probably don't because you have an intense hatred for change and future-proofing.  1 person clicking share, could potentially reach 500 friends...if 2 people also share from their friends (going on the basis of 500 average friends) - that is a reach of 1500 people...from one person clicking 2 buttons...which...I am sorry...but at the moment, DC simply doesn't get that kind of coverage because people just are not going to go through the shit of copy/pasting links every 5 minutes if there are a good few topics they feel their friends may like!

"Personally I find it too much in your face distracting"

Yeah, Because you live in 2002 and don't accept change.

"I'm open to adding some very subtle extra button somewhere that pops up a menu"

You mean like the one that used to be on DC...the one that nobody used?  Oh yeah...they didn't use it because it was VERY SUBTLE and NOBODY KNEW IT WAS THERE!  :huh:

Mouser, you know me, and you know I will be straight up honest with you...You need to accept change...DC is 10 years old...but stop acting like everything is still as it were back then...it is 2015...accept change or be left behind in the dust...DC needs to incorporate all that is good, and accept that having an in-your-face popup, that could potentially mean DC gets a HUGE increase in traffic (Or at least a huge amount of potential towards free advertising).

tomos:
my only objections are superficial:
it totally clashes with the style and colours used by the site already; and it could be slimmer heightwise.

Giampy:
I find bothersome that blue bar that follows us when we scroll the page.
I would accept such bar if it were a static element put in a corner, just like any other button, for example just like the bar "FORUM HOME - MY PROFILE - THREAD MARKS - CHAT! - DOWNLOADS - SEARCH - UNREAD POSTS".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version