ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

how can I do this in excel?

<< < (9/11) > >>

kalos:
sorry, I don't know how the html file knows its url and parent web path and you answer "it 'just' knows" !

I see nothing inside the html file that contains its url

it seems the web browser when it opens an html and sees hyperlinks in it with no path, it automatically takes the same path of the url that was downloaded

but if you take that html file and send it in an email attached, and open it from that email, will these Href links without path, work?
if they work I will get mad!

so, if they don't work, and they only work when the index html is downloaded, there is no chance to do what I want, one thing of which was to have the index file (I said xls, you made it html) to be stored locally!

kalos:
can we do this?
I edit the xls file to add the filenames and possibly add new files I have uploaded
the html at the time it is downloaded, it AUTOMATICALLY reads and grabs the hyperlinks from the xls file and displays the latest uptodate index

is that possible?

that would be interesting

kalos:
also, we could take advantage of excels ability to 'refresh', ie re-connect to a web location and update real time its data

so I edit the html file to create the appropriate links (without the need of excel, I just type the html code, or unless there is an idiot proof method so that people who don't know can use it) and then all I have to do is to open the excel file (from the same web folder) and it will display the right links!

that would be interesting too

BUT

I won't be able to have an excel file in my local machine and have the links in it automatically updated

I think the REAL SOLUTION is to write the code that will search in the web server and find the correct filename match and update the link, am I right? totally portable and totally robust

TaoPhoenix:
sorry, I don't know how the html file knows its url and parent web path and you answer "it 'just' knows" !

I see nothing inside the html file that contains its url

it seems the web browser when it opens an html and sees hyperlinks in it with no path, it automatically takes the same path of the url that was downloaded

but if you take that html file and send it in an email attached, and open it from that email, will these Href links without path, work?
if they work I will get mad!

so, if they don't work, and they only work when the index html is downloaded, there is no chance to do what I want, one thing of which was to have the index file (I said xls, you made it html) to be stored locally!
-kalos (March 24, 2015, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

can we do this?
I edit the xls file to add the filenames and possibly add new files I have uploaded
the html at the time it is downloaded, it AUTOMATICALLY reads and grabs the hyperlinks from the xls file and displays the latest uptodate index

is that possible?

that would be interesting
-kalos (March 24, 2015, 01:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you might be drifting a little where a couple of your desires run opposite to each other! Again I'll try to answer these out of order in what I hope makes sense.

"...but if you take that html file and send it in an email attached, and open it from that email, will these Href links without path, work? If they work I will get mad!"

So let's not make you mad!

You shouldn't be emailing the index file. Leaving aside security on who is authorized to look at files on the server, you would email the authorized group the *link to the index file on the server*. The index file lives on the server just like any of the other files that get up there. (Otherwise, why have a web server at all? It's not software, it's just a file.)  

PS in all these posts the DC board software adds random things to my posts that are not there!

So anyway, for example in my server, it was my fault in our example I used file names with spaces. It's tough to do prototypes because in prototyping you take shortcuts! I don't do a lot of web work so I was using file names with spaces. So I renamed the index with dashes which should come through as a straight link.

So my "hard link" would be
http://www.freevoteusa.com/Zexcel1/Excel-Produced-Index.html

But you were asking that if people move the files around, that "hard link" breaks. So I went the other way. If you load the index up to the web server where all the files are, then you *browse* to the index, it "finds" everything in that folder. Then someone wants to move all the files say to a "completed folder". Sure. So you move the index file there too, and it still "finds" the files again. That's what I hope you were asking.

You can't simultaneously (easily) have an index file on your local machine that looks at the web server AND flexible enough to still find files when people move them around on the server.

So if I had an index on my local C drive, it would need a "hard link"
http://www.freevoteusa.com/Zexcel1/Excel-Produced-Index.html
to find the stuff on the web server. But then when someone moves the file out from under you, that link would break.

You can re-do the index, but it takes a few more steps.

I know, limits of proprietary data, but ask your manager if there are a couple of very non-sensitive files (like maybe a readme and a boring memo) we can use together to take our example past one step of these prototypes and do ten minutes of "real work". A small piece of this is you are having a little trouble converting my prototype to your real situation.

I'll add a few more notes in the next post to keep this from becoming a wall of text!

kalos:
sorry, in short, will the links in the index file I emailed, work? ie. download the actual files?
let aside security and that I would email the link and not the file or anything else

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version