ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

how can I do this in excel?

(1/11) > >>

kalos:
hello!

I have an excel file uploaded in www.domain.com/folder/some.xls

I want to put hyperlinks of the rest of the files included in the www.domain.com/folder/

BUT I don't want to put hyperlinks like www.domain.com/folder/file.doc etc, but hyperlinks like */file.doc, so that basically to search for the files, it will search within the folder that the xls is located at

I know it's very easy to do it when we are talking about local files (you can make xls search in the current folder for that specific filename and hyperlink it)

but how about files stored in a web server?

thanks!

kalos:
my manager is convinced that it can be done

but I think it's impossible without any scripting

I want the xls file stored in a specific web folder, to have hyperlinks of the files in the same folder

I think this needs the xls file to get its own url and then generate the hyperlinks of the filenames by adding the www.domain.com/folder/ to their hyperlinks

or is another way?

Renegade:
my manager is convinced that it can be done
-kalos (March 23, 2015, 07:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

No. It can't.

URIs do not work that way.

When you download a file, it is saved to something like:

c:/some path/some folder/some file.xls
c:/some path/some temp folder/some file.xls

When the file is opened by a spreadsheet program, the program sees the path as above.

Remember, local paths are also URIs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_resource_identifier#Relationship_to_URL_and_URN

If you give me "some path/some folder/", that is a URI. I do not know the mechanism to look for the resource, so I'd look for the resource based on the current path, which is determined by the path that the resource was opened from or the path that the resource program holds in memory, which may be different (and often is) from the opening location, e.g. "c:/users/me/documents/my pron/", etc.

I could be wrong here, but I don't think so. Perhaps one of the resident gurus can chime in on the topic to either confirm or deny what I've got above.

Now, to solve the problem...

Set up a redirector server so that you can link to a redirector URI/URL and return the proper document and even change the location. (We've all seen this done before, even if we didn't recognize it.)

Yeah. Messy. Ugly. And even fugly.

IainB:
What are the business requirements please? I might be able to help.

Renegade:
What are the business requirements please? I might be able to help.
-IainB (March 23, 2015, 08:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

HA! And IainB cuts directly to the important stuff!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version