topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The 2015 10th Anniversary DonationCoder.com Fundraiser Cheer for Victory Thread!  (Read 57486 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
6 thermometer segments achieved.. $3,000 from 155 people:
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Go go thermometer cody!

colin1951uk

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another Anniversary Donation made  :)

Not sure if the Thermometer is reading correctly though.

Anyway hope it all helps a little  :up:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank, colin!

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Woooooooo, Things are going well with the Fundraiser so far!!!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
7 segments achieved ($3,500 from 189 donors!)  :-* :-*
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 05:33 PM by mouser, Reason: corrected »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
7 segments achieved ($3,5000 from 189 donors!)  :-* :-*

Not quite...

$3,500, not $3,5000 ;)  I think mouser got a little too excited lol

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
fixed it :)

silat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What a great site and I am happy to donate.
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."  - Abraham Lincoln

jadinolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Donated a tiny bit yesterday.

Will try to do it more often. :)
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks guys and gals!!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was trying to think of some ways we might get some attention for the fundraiser..

What about having a random drawing for any donor/supportingmember to win some something special like a SMALL custom app designed to their specifications -- up to say 20-40 hours of dev time?  I'd be volunteering to do the coding.. Could be an Android app, Desktop App, Web App..  So folks would enter by submitting their idea -- and only those I thought I could do within 40 hours would qualify -- which will eliminate a fair amount of entries I'm sure.

Not sure it's worth the effort if most people don't have a (qualifying) idea they want coded.. In other words most potential donors may not be attracted to the idea, so maybe it's a stupid idea.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'll donate $50 right now for the chance to get my Yelp bookmarks thing coded. ;)

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A huge thanks to ghacks for writing up the fundraiser: here.
And to Gizmo's (TechSupportAlert) for writing up the fundraiser: here.

We are honored to have the support and encouragement of these two wonderful software sites.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
8 segments and we just passed $4,000 mark with 216 donations  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What happened??? I've been away for a few hours and the $5000 mark is passed :-* :-* :-*

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Gizmo happened.  Amazing site with some amazing people on it.

Screenshot - 3_31_2015 , 1_11_49 PM.png
We are passed the half way point! We might actually make it before the end of April! Go go thermometer cody!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:13 PM by mouser »

sifu99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was trying to think of some ways we might get some attention for the fundraiser..

What about having a random drawing for any donor/supportingmember to win some something special like a SMALL custom app designed to their specifications -- up to say 20-40 hours of dev time?  I'd be volunteering to do the coding.. Could be an Android app, Desktop App, Web App..  So folks would enter by submitting their idea -- and only those I thought I could do within 40 hours would qualify -- which will eliminate a fair amount of entries I'm sure.

Not sure it's worth the effort if most people don't have a (qualifying) idea they want coded.. In other words most potential donors may not be attracted to the idea, so maybe it's a stupid idea.

That is a brilliant idea!! I love it & would absolutely participate.

sifu99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
While I'm on the idea bandwagon (and Lord knows I am full of it, er I mean ideas):

Have you considered posting this (the Fundraiser) as an Indiegogo campaign? The Perks could then be various # of hours (max) for a custom coded app?

It would probably be a good idea to lower expectations by calling it "prototyping".

Tons of people should be willing to pay $99 for 10 hours, $199 for 20 hours, $299 for 30 hours, & $399 for 40 hours. Imagine, they get a custom job for $9.99 per hour. It wouldn't take many to smash that thermometer. And perhaps fill your Dance Card for the rest of the year.  :)

Followup offer to those who are close to completion within their time. They can choose to accept a working prototype with some functions working and others merely displayed as dummy buttons, or you can offer them an upgrade to finish for a fixed fee (or at your option) even a small royalty.

This idea is scalable with various coders contributing code snippets in their areas of expertise.

This could ultimately be made into a generic app where people chose which modules they want. But that would be outside of the Indiegogo campaign and likely far in the future.

Let me know if you have any interest. I have done an Indiegogo campaign, so can help with the setup mechanics.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
While I'm on the idea bandwagon (and Lord knows I am full of it, er I mean ideas):

Have you considered posting this (the Fundraiser) as an Indiegogo campaign? The Perks could then be various # of hours (max) for a custom coded app?

It would probably be a good idea to lower expectations by calling it "prototyping".

Tons of people should be willing to pay $99 for 10 hours, $199 for 20 hours, $299 for 30 hours, & $399 for 40 hours. Imagine, they get a custom job for $9.99 per hour. It wouldn't take many to smash that thermometer. And perhaps fill your Dance Card for the rest of the year.  :)

Followup offer to those who are close to completion within their time. They can choose to accept a working prototype with some functions working and others merely displayed as dummy buttons, or you can offer them an upgrade to finish for a fixed fee (or at your option) even a small royalty.

This idea is scalable with various coders contributing code snippets in their areas of expertise.

This could ultimately be made into a generic app where people chose which modules they want. But that would be outside of the Indiegogo campaign and likely far in the future.

Let me know if you have any interest. I have done an Indiegogo campaign, so can help with the setup mechanics.

You might want to "bend" the curve a little.

The "value" comes holistically. And I think you can get more with a couple more tiers. Something like $40 for the first 10 hours, because mouser/someone can smash together the ultra raw visual framework with maybe 2 buttons half working, and let the customer then sit there and "ponder" it. Sometimes once you see something, you realize "oh! I didn't know I wanted/didn't want X!" And then you hit a period of rework. I have direct experience with this commissioning stuff. I've long remarked that this site has one small flaw software wise, which I'll call a "Cliff Pond effect". You can get "snacks" for free - funny little app-lets that do something small and cute. But the minute it drifts into a "coding lunch" like this thread's ideas, suddenly it falls into a black hole and the customer doesn't know what to do. This fundraiser is one way to address that.

(On Cape Cod in Massachusetts USA, there's a pond in one of the state parks. It's all nice and sweet and safe for eight year olds, like 4 foot water... for the first 50 feet. Then it drops off the cliff literally, hence the name! It goes instantly to something like 15 feet deep!! So that means parents better have put an hour into planning ahead or there will be trouble!)
:o

But once you raise your sights into a "coding lunch" your vision increases. But if the initial part isn't as bad on "sunk money", there's less of a "threat" against changing their minds to change up something. Then let's say they really get going, and hit the main coding stretch.

But then on the other side, they should get a "volume discount" because they've committed to X decent sized chunk of money. So then they get a bigger batch of hours at a value price.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Man, that's a lot of really low paid coder hours, hehe.

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
To clarify -- I cannot afford (mentally or monetarily) to take on work at those kinds of rates :)
The idea I was proposing was like a raffle, so that if many people donate, only one would win a prize of having their custom app created.
But i think the main problem with this is pretty real -- that  very few people would care about or have need for this "prize".

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Man, that's a lot of really low paid coder hours, hehe.

- Oshyan

Birds in hand, "just watching the bush".

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
We just broke the $7,000 mark with donations from 383 people!
Screenshot - 4_2_2015 , 2_56_33 AM.png
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Woohoo! Go Cody!

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile