topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The 2015 10th Anniversary DonationCoder.com Fundraiser Cheer for Victory Thread!  (Read 57482 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
In march of 2005 -- 10 years ago this month -- I set up the DonationCoder.com website and forum -- without much expectation that it would survive the year.  Mainly I was interested in being able to share the software I had written, and in seeing if anyone would donate to support it.  In the year before I had released a program and asked casually for donations and postcards -- and though the response was minimal -- the pleasure of meeting and having contact with a stranger who enjoyed the software was undeniable.  That was really the simple idea behind this site -- nothing very ambitious, just a way to connect programmer and user.

Fast forward 10 years.. The large numbers of downloads of our software, and the high traffic of our forum mean that our hosting costs are substantial -- currently $367/month just for server costs -- paid for entirely by small, optional donations from regular users like you.

The last time we had a fundraiser was in 3 years ago, in 2011 -- when we raised $14,239 from about 600 individuals.  For our 10th anniversary, I've set the goal at $10,000 -- a fairly modest amount I hope -- enough to pay for the next two and a half years of web hosting.

I set the fundraiser goal to less than what we raised in 2011 in recognition of the changing software landscape.. In the 10 years since we started.  Mobile and web apps are becoming ubiquitous, and the notion of free software has become almost dominant -- with consequences good and bad (constant advertisements and crapware).  But if you like what we do -- our software, our forum, our special projects -- it's really more important than ever that we have your financial support.  It's humbling to have to ask, but that's part of what this site is about -- being willing to ask for your financial support.

Having said that -- one thing I made clear when I wrote my article on the first year of DonationCoder.com, is that this website, the software and the forum, will not be going anywhere -- regardless of the money raised.  We're in it for the long haul and our software will always be maintained and free for home users without adware or unwanted junk.  But your donations help keep this site vibrant and active, make it more rewarding to improve, and I think help us to be an example to others.

In the coming weeks I will be writing more of my thoughts on the website -- both where I think we could have done better over the last 10 years, and some possible future ideas we might pursue together -- and I'll be asking for your feedback.

And lastly -- for today at least -- thank you all for 10 amazing years so far!  Here's to many more!

codycolorcakephoto_noframe.png
-jesse
 March 23, 2015

Please visit our Donation Page to make a donation now.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:16 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ps:

Do a ctrl+F5 refresh of a donationcoder.com web page to see the fundraiser banner with the thermometer showing the amount of money raised so far for the fundraiser:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for an amazing 10 years! I've never been an active member of any other website or group for as long as I've been a part of DC.

With other sites/groups, my life or interests often take me in another direction, if the community itself doesn't become hostile or stagnant first.

This place is really special! :-*

Ennovy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This place is really special! :-*

+1  :D
Thanks mouser. You have my support!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Woo hoo, we just achieved the first segment of the thermometer! 19 more to go!  :up: :up: :up:

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
After 10 years, still the first site I check every day :-*.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 :-*

Will try to do something in a few days.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Three bars of the thermometer achieved! 17 more to go  :up: :up: :up:

gromitnyc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Happy Anniversary!

I sent my anniversary gift. How about the rest of you?

:)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you all for your warm wishes and positive encouragement about the site -- it makes all of the difference in the world.

And I'd like to ask everyone to please help spread the word about the fundraiser.   :up:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Five bars of thermometer achieved by 117 donors so far  :Thmbsup: Go go thermometer cody!

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
doing my bit :)

Bending_Unit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Lets keep the show moving ...   :)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Gogogo guys and girls!

Can't believe how long I have been here and how many words I must have typed during that time...be it on the forum or in the IRC....Y'all can thank app103 for me being here  ;D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can't believe how long I have been here and how many words I must have typed during that time
we need a function that will export a pdf ebook for a user showing all posts that have participated in, with their contributions colored differently.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can't believe how long I have been here and how many words I must have typed during that time
we need a function that will export a pdf ebook for a user showing all posts that have participated in, with their contributions colored differently.

<-- is terrified of "the complete works of Mouser on DC" - 34,000+ posts!?
:tellme:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ :)

on a practical note:
I wanted to give a couple of people donations - if I 'make a donation' does it all automatically go to the site?
or do I have do donate to the site after getting the credits, if you follow me.
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I wanted to give a couple of people donations - if I 'make a donation' does it all automatically go to the site?

Once you click the link in the email confirming your donation you get your donation as DonationCredits which you can disburse as you see fit.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ :)

on a practical note:

If you right click a name, the last item on the bottom is "donate to this member".
: )

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Several people have asked questions in this vein so let me give my spiel:
  • When you make a donation via paypal, amazon, etc, that action is what increases the thermometer.
  • Using donationcredits does not affect the thermometer.
  • You still get the normal email link when you donate that will let you activate the donationcredits into your forum account, where you can give them out to whoever you want.
  • Theoretically, if everyone activated their donation and used their donationcredits by giving them them out to random people who cashed them out, then the "fundraiser" would not actually do much for the site coffers and hosting costs.
  • However in practice, only a small minority goes through the process of converting their donation to donationcredits and then gives out their credits to someone they want to thank -- and because of that, most donations fall back by default into the site coffers.
  • Most importantly, my position is this -- if you are engaged enough in the site that you have someone you want to send your donationcredits to, to say thank you for their work on coding snacks, or helping people on the forum, etc., then sending your donation to them is just as valuable a way to support the site as any, and thus is a well directed fundraiser contribution.
  • So the bottom line: Whether you do nothing, or send your donation credits to the site account, or send them to anyone on the site that you appreciate, they are all equally valid ways of participating in the fundraiser.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thanks jesse (and Deo and I think I managed to confuse you Tao ;-)),
I thought that was the case, just wanted to be sure as I was planning a 'half-and-half' donation (half for the site).

So FWIW it's probably still helpful to actively donate credits to the site (after 'making your donation' - getting bogged down here again :D).
Tom

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Once you click the link in the email confirming your donation...
I always forget that step  ;D
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thermometer seems to be stalling out.. did someone forget to put gas in the engine this afternoon?  :huh:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ bumped it a wee bit for you :P
Tom

DeVamp

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Let the coding begin :-)
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
After having found a lot of apps and tips and having some nice reads the last few years, i'ts more than obvious to put my share in the fundraiser as well. :)

Thank you everybody for this place :) :-*