topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: MxNitro Browser  (Read 7031 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MxNitro Browser
« on: March 22, 2015, 07:19 PM »
http://thenextweb.co...es-30-faster-chrome/

I guess I don't keep up.  I just noticed MxNitro.  For grins I got the Version:   1.0.1.600 portable and tried it.  Just sitting at the home page is has 4 processes running.  The scheme is to have a bare bones browser that is lightning fast.  As I posted on the Maxthon Community forum, I can see being stripped down for speed, but I think it takes it to an extreme when you cannot even mount your favorites toolbar as a toolbar.  At least I couldn't figure it out.

I have nearly all folders on my bookmarks toolbar.  The browser pulled them into the menu.  But to use them I have to click the favorites button, then favorites toolbar, then the folder, then the favorite.  It defeats the purpose entirely.  I urged them to allow a bit more in the way of configuration.  But I fear any suggestions will be smothered by in-group out-group intolerance.

So far it loads fast and goes fast.  But can you do anything once you get there?  Read text and look at the pictures seems to be about it.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MxNitro Browser
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 07:44 PM »
I don't see how you can get, or would want to be, more bare bones than Pale Moon in its out-of-the-box configuration. Anything more bare bones than that and you're just holding yourself back for minimal gains.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 09:01 PM »

I haven't worried about how fast pages load in ten years, so I don't get that metric. To me there's ten other issues to argue about over browsers besides speed.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 05:34 AM »
I use Kmeleon at times like doing an image backup with Macrium.  I don't think I want to be hogging the processor with a dozen instances just to browse a few pages.  Strange what they spend their time on.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 08:58 PM »
Maxthon has been a funny adventure.
They've got 4 different browsers and none are finished enough to say they are polished products.
They made this MxNitro 'cause their users voted speed as their top prefered feature in a new browser.
Go figure!

Maybe no.5 will be one with decent addons...

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 03:11 PM »
Hi,
I have "adopted" MxNitro on my LenovoG505 (slow machine) and it's the only browser where I can view Youtube contents without hiccups...  So speed is definitely a must for me, I don't care much for extensions.
.merle1.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 03:30 PM »
Good for you!  :)
Have you tried Opera's latest chromium based?
Here's what GHacks reported in a recent article.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 03:49 PM »
Hi,
I have "adopted" MxNitro on my LenovoG505 (slow machine) and it's the only browser where I can view Youtube contents without hiccups...  So speed is definitely a must for me, I don't care much for extensions.

I didn't think of that.  It might be worth a try watching some streaming vids.  Firefox is glacial on some sites getting the buffering when first starting the vid.

Edit: speak of the devil.  I just opened mxNitro and there's an update.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 04:00 PM »
Good for you!  :)
Have you tried Opera's latest chromium based?
Here's what GHacks reported in a recent article.
Thanks, I'll have a look.  I have an installed version of Opera 28 but can't find this setting.  Will try again later on.
.merle1.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 06:06 AM »
I'll say one thing for it.  They seem to have some marketing panache. Instead of the usual wizard the update installer(more like an unpacker since it was portable) had a big green arrow and looked cool.  What was uncool was that it just stuck the folder in my user settings without asking.  But at least it looked good doing it.  :)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 06:11 AM »
I'll say one thing for it.  They seem to have some marketing panache. Instead of the usual wizard the update installer(more like an unpacker since it was portable) had a big green arrow and looked cool.  What was uncool was that it just stuck the folder in my user settings without asking.  But at least it looked good doing it.  :)
I agree, the default installation folder that can't be changed is annoying, that's why I use the portable version.
.merle1.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 07:46 AM »
I'll say one thing for it.  They seem to have some marketing panache. Instead of the usual wizard the update installer(more like an unpacker since it was portable) had a big green arrow and looked cool.  What was uncool was that it just stuck the folder in my user settings without asking.  But at least it looked good doing it.  :)
I agree, the default installation folder that can't be changed is annoying, that's why I use the portable version.

I am using the portable version.  It told me there was an update.  I downloaded and ran it.  It put the thing in my settings folder.  I just deleted the old portable and moved the folder over.  So far the main thing that irks, that I sent in feedback about, is there's no Bookmarks Toolbar.  I have to go through a bunch of clicks to use a bookmark.  If they could fix that it might be usable.

Edit: The other bad news is it does not support multiple urls on the command line.  I can't even overcojme the Bookmark Bar deficit by using BrowserBunch to launch a bunch.  :(

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:06 AM by MilesAhead »

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 12:27 PM »

I am using the portable version.  It told me there was an update.  I downloaded and ran it.  It put the thing in my settings folder.  I just deleted the old portable and moved the folder over.  So far the main thing that irks, that I sent in feedback about, is there's no Bookmarks Toolbar.  I have to go through a bunch of clicks to use a bookmark.  If they could fix that it might be usable.

Edit: The other bad news is it does not support multiple urls on the command line.  I can't even overcojme the Bookmark Bar deficit by using BrowserBunch to launch a bunch.  :(

Actually I just use a few bookmarks and I type the rest in the address bar, the history does the rest...  But maybe I am really visiting just a few websites a day.
.merle1.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 04:08 PM »
Actually I just use a few bookmarks and I type the rest in the address bar, the history does the rest...  But maybe I am really visiting just a few websites a day.

As alternative I tried using Chromium.  For some reason I can't get a recent release to work with Flash.  I hate to give in and use chrome.  Seems there's never a happy medium.  :)

Edit: Downloaded the PortableApps chrome.  It has the flash already set up.  I'll still try MxNitro for streaming.  I'll give it a chance.

Edit2:  I have to admit that chrome is fast.  If I leave all that predictive page load stuff enabled, pages snap right up.  Of course it likely makes the prediction by sending all my activity to google servers.  :)  But what can you do?

Firefox 37.0 is out.  It seems ok, but nowhere near as snappy as chrome.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:45 AM by MilesAhead »