ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

metadata solution

<< < (2/2)

kalos:
hello

I try to analyze a problem where I want to assign a decriptive title in each of a list of files with filenames that are not indicative of their content and the filenames cannot be changed (for various reasons)

so I came up with this logical thinking, but I need to know if I am missing something, if a workaround can work, a new idea, some new technology, or something

here it is then:

To assign a descriptive title in a file let's say named xxx.pdf, this title needs to be saved somewhere. This somewhere is either internally in the file or somewhere externally, eg an excel file, text file, etc. Internally, there are two options: either inside the body of the file itself, like the first or last page of the xxx.pdf file, or in its metadata. But to read and display that info, we will need a viewer (ie. it cannot be done without having a program to read either the file or its metadata). Externally, we can have a database of the descriptive titles for each of the files, and somehow bind that data in a viewer.

Do you have any idea about this binding? What could be done?
Is there anything missing from that logical thinking?

thanks!
-kalos (March 23, 2015, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

anyone to comment on this please?
is this logical approach complete?

Renegade:
Office documents already have metadata in them.

This is from PowerPoint:

Other office documents have similar metadata embedded in them. It's simply a matter of iterating over folders and files and then reading that metadata.

kalos:
yeah, I know
I am basically asking if there is another option than those I mention
ie. a way to assign a descriptive title in a file, apart from its filename

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version