ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need help cleaning virus inside HTML files

(1/3) > >>

rsatrioadi:
Hello folks, long time no see.

tl;dr: some virus infected many (I hope not all...yet) HTML files inside my hard drive. It embedded nasty vbscript at the end of each file (after </html> tag). My antivirus detected but cannot repair them. What next?

Longer story:

After years of not using Windows, I got my hand on a Windows machine. Silly me didn't install antivirus at the first chance, so circa day 2 I got it infected with viruses from an infected flash drive. I installed Avast and ran a scan. Most .exe and .dll files were repaired but many HTML files are left unfixed (see tl;dr above). Here's a screenshot of the vbscript inside a file:

The <SCRIPT..> parts are the same in each infected HTML files, but the "gibberish" HTML comment after the closing </SCRIPT> differs from file to file. I don't know if this comment part does any harm, though.

So, any suggestions on how to clean them? If there's no ready-made solution maybe somebody can write me a script that reads all HTML files inside a directory and remove any vbscripts inside it? Pretty please? ;)

Thanks beforehand for any help.

Curt:
This guy said it would be both faster and safer, to do it manually:
http://cleanbytes.net/vbscript-shortcuts-virus-removal

However, you may want to try if USB-Fix can help you out:
http://www.en.usbfix.net/2014/03/remove-shortcut-virus-usb/

But other than that, I have no knowledge about these matters.
I wish you good luck!

mouser:
I'm assuming these html documents are your own creation, and you don't have good backups?
If they are system files, just wipe the entire computer clean and start over.

MilesAhead:
rsatrioadi can correct me if I'm wrong.  But I have the feeling these are for offline browsing?  Otherwise as Mouser says, why not just reset the machine to factory square one?

4wd:
Correct me if I'm wrong but if it's added after the </HTML> tag then you only need to read through the files to that point writing each line to a temporary file, then replacing the original at the end.

I could probably do this in a batch file, having it recurse through the whole drive, you'd hit problems if there were any restricted permissions but it seems simple enough.  Might have a look later for the intellectual exercise  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version