topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Beginner needs help  (Read 4563 times)

hopken44

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Beginner needs help
« on: March 01, 2015, 10:52 AM »
Can someone please help me. I have downloaded screen shot captor and now I'm stumped. Say I have some text on my computer screen. I know if I use print screen I can capture the whole screen but I can't figure out how to use shift prtscreen. I try that and I get a square with a bunch of grid lines and horizontal and vertical dashes on the screen. I can't figure out how to copy the desired region to the screen shot captor screen so I can manipulate it.

Sorry to be stupid but could somebody get me started.

Thanks a bunch.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 11:21 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Beginner needs help
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 11:25 AM »
Best not to post your email on any public forum -- you never know what spam bots might stumble across it and start sending you spam.

It sounds like perhaps something is not working right with the shift+prtscr function for you -- what you should see is a crosshairs where you can click down with mouse button and drag until youve selected the region to copy and then release.
But it sounds like you are saying it's not drawing that crosshairs correctly and your whole screen is being painted with lines?

You also mention wanting to be able to manipulate the image.

Let's handle one thing at a time.  If you hit PrtScr, it should capture the entire screen image, and then let you manipulate and edit image inside screenshot captor program -- allowing you to drop, save, etc.

Does at least that basic functionality of Screenshot Captor work for you? So it's ONLY the Shift+PrtScr region capture that is not working right?

hopken44

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 11:45 AM »
Dear Mouser. Thanks a bunch. I just didn't understand about dragging the cross hairs with the mouse. I just tried it and it worked fine. Hope not to bother you too much with silly questions.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 11:48 AM »
no worries, welcome to the site  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 11:48 AM »
By the way, there are a bunch of videos showing how to get the most out of Screenshot Captor here:
https://www.donation....com/screencasts/sc/

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 11:50 AM »
Dear Mouser. Thanks a bunch.

hi hopken,
another option that can be nice to use is:
if you just use Prtscr, and then open the Screenshot Captor main window (double-click tray icon) - the window in the foreground of the screenshot will be automatically selected: you can then crop - or mess around with the selection size first.
Tom

hopken44

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 12:01 PM »
Thanks Tom but I'm still confused. I tried hitting print scrn and a small version of Screenshot captor came up showing the full screen underneath it. There was a small "target" in view but I could not do anything with it nor any ability to select a specific region (like the dragging the mouse thing.) If I just double click on the icon in my tray, I get a full version of Screen shot but now way to view the image beneath it. Sorry to be so dense but I really appreciate your help.

Ken

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 01:48 PM »
Thanks Tom but I'm still confused. I tried hitting print scrn and a small version of Screenshot captor came up showing the full screen underneath it. There was a small "target" in view but I could not do anything with it nor any ability to select a specific region (like the dragging the mouse thing.) If I just double click on the icon in my tray, I get a full version of Screen shot but now way to view the image beneath it. Sorry to be so dense but I really appreciate your help.

Ken

okay, what comes up is a dialogue window with various options - you've got to select one of these e.g.
'Save image but hide' will simply save the image and you can look at it later via the main window;
or
'Save image and show' will save the image and show it in the main window, allowing you to edit it.

=> there is also an option at the bottom of that dialogue:
"After next capture:" [show this dialogue/show main window/stay minimized]
If you dont want to see dialogue again, and always want the main window to show or hide - select the appropriate option there first.

Hope that helps
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 01:54 PM »
Have a look at this video Ken:
https://www.donation...c/3ds/sc27/sc27.html
within the first 30 seconds you get the basics for starting up with this app

(it does go a bit quick - but you can pause it or manually rewind it)
Tom