topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firefox drastically bleeding market share  (Read 12154 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firefox drastically bleeding market share
« on: March 09, 2015, 10:00 AM »
An incredibly shrinking Firefox faces endangered species status (via Computerworld)

I have Pale Moon on my machine- which I guess wouldn't count.  And FF on another, which would.  But I use Chrome more than either.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox drastically bleeding market share
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 10:42 AM »
An incredibly shrinking Firefox faces endangered species status (via Computerworld)

I have Pale Moon on my machine- which I guess wouldn't count.  And FF on another, which would.  But I use Chrome more than either.

That seems awfully weird.  It's like if all of a sudden somebody said only 1/2 million people world wide were still running Windows OS.  For a browser that nobody uses, it sure seems like everyone prefers it.  :)

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 10:57 AM »
I've tried many times to switch to Chrome on my PC and netbook (to benefit from syncing with my Chromebook and Android tablet), but I came back to FF every time, as I just keep finding Chrome inferior to FF in my Win7 and XP environments. So as long as Chrome continues to underperform in Win (and MS doesn't come up with something better than IE), there should be hope for FF...

1NR1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 09:02 PM »
Hello,
Firefox is a great browser.  Mozilla is outdated.

With all the kiddie phones, pads, etc. etc. now the Medium isn't the Message anymore, the message is IN the medium...imbedded, sold and bought in hypnotic flashes of targeted ads to a generation who wouldn't know a 360 from a punch card (forget about DARPA). So what has happened is this baseline has switched so far afield from the things that firefox can do...Adblock, NoScript and others, so that from an early age the newest users are convinced their way, that is the way they are sold, is the best.

Firefox needs a mobile browser that becomes the killer app, with killer apps.  Then the Apple store and the Amazon store and the Google store will have a harder time paying off the developers who make the adds stop blaring.

NR
Washington DC

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 11:22 PM »
I've tried many times to switch to Chrome on my PC and netbook (to benefit from syncing with my Chromebook and Android tablet), but I came back to FF every time, as I just keep finding Chrome inferior to FF in my Win7 and XP environments. So as long as Chrome continues to underperform in Win (and MS doesn't come up with something better than IE), there should be hope for FF...

I keep saying I have no interest in the back end rendering, and just use FF for its extension-AddOns plus a Classic Restorer menu.

I don't know why anyone hasn't stuck a "Classic FF" add-on to Chrome. Then see the news elsewhere add-ons are getting all wiggly and stuff.

Although it never worked for me, at a distance I can respect the Linux philosophy that the back end is de-coupled from the front end UI. But in BrowserLand, I'm a FF-Clone guy because nothing else has ever made any sense in any way.

And I just saw that Josh from the controversial Button Masher Bros did a live stream and griped "damnit, that's right, lots of these Unity games don't run in Chrome". And I like my LudumDare stuff. So if an entire browser can't run games, why bother to use it?

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 11:15 AM »
I hope that Firefox/Mozilla can turn it around, because every time I have tried Chrome I've hated it.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 12:30 PM »
I don't know why everyone's surprised that Firefox's market share is dwindling. This is exactly what is expected to happen when a company turns its back on its founding mission statement and becomes what the company founders professed to hate...and was the reason why they founded the company in the first place.

quecochon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 10:42 PM »
Innuendo, I couldn't agree more with you. Mozilla captured a solid base of users, not only for Firefox but also for Thunderbird, but now it seems it's just another bureaucratic minds' nest. We all know what happens when bureaucratic minds prevail: stupidity and incompetence arise and market focus and productivity declines. Since dropping Thunderbird from there stupid minds, whoever runs Mozilla have lost focus on their clients: no question FF has been the best browser, but it hasn't just because of Mozilla but because of third party developers creating sound add-ons. Now things are changing in Mozilla strengthening the bureaucratic way to take decisions. I intend not to upgrade FF to v 41 and keep an eye on Pale Moon and FossaMail: perhaps this could be an effective way to telling those stupid bureaucrats what we think about what's worthed and what they really are.       

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 07:36 AM »
I don't know why everyone's surprised that Firefox's market share is dwindling. This is exactly what is expected to happen when a company turns its back on its founding mission statement and becomes what the company founders professed to hate...and was the reason why they founded the company in the first place.

Reminds me of the "PC Revolution(tm)"

Instead of dumb terminals we have Windows 10 phones and tablets with central control of system updates etc..

I was watching a documentary about open source and Richard Stallman was telling why he and his colleagues did not even like login passwords.  He felt whoever was at the console should have total control.  So when administration set up passwords he decrypted them all and sent everyone on the system an email suggesting that their password(and he put their password in the email) was a bit long to type and subject to typos so why not just change it to the Enter key?  Apparently quite a few people did. 

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:43 AM by MilesAhead »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 04:00 PM »

Yep, spot-on.
That moronic blog post (discussed in Has the Ad Industry infiltrated Mozilla ?) from Mozilla gives an idea of the extent of the reversal that seems to have taken place.
It is so obvious now that I wonder whether Mozilla isn't being deliberately deconstructed from within so that the market (all its fans) will shun it. That would kill it off good and proper, whereas there'd be a hue and cry from the fans if someone simply bought Mozilla and shut it down.

nmharleyrider

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 12:47 PM »
I switched from Firefox to Chrome because I hate that Adobe Flash Player.  It locks up my machine.  I cannot believe Firefox has not gone to HTML5 yet

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 01:39 PM »

Well, they seem to be *overly* "focused on their market". Yes, at the expense of everything else.

Unfortunately, they made decisions on "who is important in their market".

:(

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 07:42 AM »
If enough people genuinely care (and are sufficiently motivated to do something about it) there's a "simple" solution:

fork.png

It's always an option in the FOSS world.  8)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 08:07 AM »

Reminds me of the "PC Revolution(tm)"

Instead of dumb terminals we have Windows 10 phones and tablets with central control of system updates etc..

I was watching a documentary about open source and Richard Stallman was telling why he and his colleagues did not even like login passwords.  He felt whoever was at the console should have total control.  So when administration set up passwords he decrypted them all and sent everyone on the system an email suggesting that their password(and he put their password in the email) was a bit long to type and subject to typos so why not just change it to the Enter key?  Apparently quite a few people did. 

Funny how spot-on and prescient Stallman is about so many things. Far from being a cynic, he is now beginning to seem almost like an optimist. Because the emerging reality we now live in is far worse than the most dystopian one even he imagined.

A prophet is always without honor in his own country.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 10:44 AM »
Funny how spot-on and prescient Stallman is about so many things. Far from being a cynic, he is now beginning to seem almost like an optimist. Because the emerging reality we now live in is far worse than the most dystopian one even he imagined.

A prophet is always without honor in his own country.

So, as I said in another thread... Renegade is a prophet, not a cynic, and one day that will become obvious.  :huh: :-[ ;D 8) :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 01:50 PM »
So, as I said in another thread... Renegade is a prophet, not a cynic, and one day that will become obvious.

A cynic is just a prophet who employs a heuristic.   ;)