ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Difficulty with launching FARR when using ` key + focus on desktop.

(1/4) > >>

dcsev:
Title says it all.

Being left-handed, I find I deviate more to keys on the left side of the my keyboard. Thus, I decided to use the `  (tilde) key to launch FARR. It is incredibly convenient, but there is one slight annoyance.  When focused is strictly on the desktop (and not any other windows or apps) FARR wont toggle. I use Win + A as backup, but I really would like to stick with the tilde key 100% of the time so that my work speed can increase without hesitation.
Is there any to prevent this from happening?  

There is one work-around -- run FARR using EventGhost D:\Applications\Donation Coder\FindAndRunRobot\FindAndRunRobot.exe with command line argument -toggle
This workaround royally sucks though because it is incredibly slower than FARR's wonderful hotkey integration.

I hope we can find a solution to this :(

I am running Windows 8.1 64bit.

IainB:
The tilde key is "~" (Shift+tilde).
The non-shift of the same key simply gives you "`" (on my US keyboard).
I would suggest giving FARR a hotkey combo that is unique and not used/reserved for anything else.
If you want to use your left hand to press the hotkeys, could I suggest that you use remapkey to make CAPS LOCK = Right Shift.
You could then (say) use as your FARR hotkey: Left Shift+Right Shift+ tilde
Nothing else is likely to use that.

As a possible solution to ALL CAPS accidents...
Tip - dispatching the CapsLock gremlin with Microsoft's remapkey.exe http://tips4laptopusers.blogspot.com/2008/08/dispatching-capslock-gremlin-with.html
It refers to the Microsoft remapkey.exe utility.
-IainB (August 24, 2008, 03:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
Other keyboard mapping fixes are useful, but redundant if you use remapkey.exe, which works fine in Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, and Win7-64 Home Premium.
-IainB (March 10, 2012, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
-IainB (December 26, 2013, 10:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

dcsev:
Hi IainB,
I misspoke. I was simply using the >>  '  <<  key (NOT tilde).  It is strange. This seems like it's NOT just a FARR issue, but also a Eventghost issue. The only app that I can find that will allow me to launch hotkeys from the desktop is TLBhost (Truelaunchbar in portable mode)

If you want to use your left hand to press the hotkeys, could I suggest that you use remapkey to make CAPS LOCK = Right Shift
You could then (say) use as your FARR hotkey: Left Shift+Right Shift+ tilde
--- End quote ---

Sleeping pills def. kicking in, but can you explain this in more detail. How do I remapkey to make CAPS = Right Shift and what does that mean?  FARR will launch with CAPS?

IainB:
The "`" character (I don't know what it is called) is an authentic single key on the keyboard, and should not be used (even if it could be) as a single key to start an app up. That would be just bad practice.

Go and follow/read the link I gave above, to to see how Microsoft's remapkey works.
Then use remapkey to make CAPS LOCK = Right Shift
You then just tell Eventghost, or AutoHotkey, or whatever you use, to execute FARR when the keys  Left Shift+Right Shift+ tilde are pressed simultaneously.

By the way, never, ever take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

dcsev:
By the way, never, ever take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
--- End quote ---

LOL. Ew!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version