topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Request: Consider placing a flag to indicate which Hotkey Options are preset.  (Read 2931 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Whilst experimenting with setting the grave key as the FARR toggle, per this discussion: Difficulty with launching FARR when using ` key + focus on desktop., I had to play about with the Hotkey settings menu.
Some of those settings are preset (fixed) in FARR with relevant fields being uneditable, but the user doesn't get to find that out until they open one (right-click to edit) and see the warning message in red. That's really a bit late to find out - and if the user comes back later to edit one, and can't recall whether it was preset, they have to open it up to find out first.

Suggestion: Could these "preset" Hotkey options be flagged with (say) a red asterisk and a common warning message where they are listed in the Options - Hotkeys window? That would save the user having to open it up to find out first.
I typically have 6 or 7options and don't recall offhand exactly which ones are definitely preset.

Thanks

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
not a bad idea; ill add it to my todo list.
btw in case it's not clear -- those hotkeys are non-editable to protect user from messing with some good defaults, but you can always disable (uncheck) a built in one and create a replacement with the same hotkey.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, I appreciate the necessity for fixed/preset hotkeys, and the forethought that you as the developer will have given the matter. I probably only use (say) 20% of the capability of FARR, and continue to be impressed when I "discover" some new aspect (to me) to have been built-in by design at some earlier time.   :-[
Your software tends to have your fingerprints all over it.