ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

uTorrent has gone rogue

(1/3) > >>

nosh:
I was surprised when I installed a recent OS X update and it hi-jacked two browsers without user consent. Some looking around showed that there were others complaining about malware too. I rolled back to an older version, warned whoever I could and vowed never to trust the company again.

And today, there's this little gem on TorrentFreak:

Many users of the popular BitTorrent client uTorrent are complaining about it silently installing a cryptocurrency miner with a recent update. The Epic Scale tool, which slows down host computers, is reportedly being installed without consent and for some is particularly hard to remove.
--- End quote ---

http://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-quietly-installs-riskware-bitcoin-miner-users-report-150306/

uTorrent had two things going for it: a no-nonsense, lightweight app and street cred among people like me who have used and loved the app for years. Looks like they traded both in for some $$$. :P

mouser:
Thanks for taking the time to post this nosh.

lanux128:
incidentally this was posted a few days ago.

The 4 Best Alternatives to uTorrent on Windows - http://www.howtogeek.com/197542/the-4-best-alternatives-to-utorrent-on-windows/

nosh:
I'm glad they picked an older version of uTorrent as a viable alternative. It really was an amazing client, even on a mac where it has less features compared to its windows counterpart, though I can't remember what they are anymore since I haven't used it in years.

Innuendo:
uTorrent had two things going for it: a no-nonsense, lightweight app and street cred among people like me who have used and loved the app for years. Looks like they traded both in for some $$$. :P-nosh (March 08, 2015, 06:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ever since uTorrent was purchased by the not-totally-upstanding BitTorrent we've been waiting for the other shoe to drop. It finally has.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version