ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DuckDuckGo as viable Open Source builder

(1/3) > >>

dantheman:
We all know how Google made its way to fame and fortune.
We also know that is no longer as "good" as we once thought it was or would be...

How about considering DuckDuckGo as an alternative for better privacy, "open source" as well as a community oriented service? https://duck.co/

wraith808:
I've tried it personally, and it's been brought up here before.  I stopped, because the results and such just weren't as good for me... as well as the fact that the extension had problems in Chrome at least on my computer.

dantheman:
Didn't want to override you on anything Waith808.
I saw various posts but none that were specific that i was thinking of.
Although it is relatively easy to set DDG as search engine on Vivaldi, i haven't tried it on Google Chrome.

DDG is improving (can't say that much for Yahoo).

tomos:
It's my default search engine - but I do often find it weak, and resort then to Bing or Google.
On my desktop machine I also occasionally use StartPage (https://www.startpage.com/) -
but cant remember offhand how good it is.

I saw a couple of other search engines mentioned in connection with a FARR plugin just this week - must see if I can root them out...

wraith808:
Didn't want to override you on anything Waith808.
I saw various posts but none that were specific that i was thinking of.
Although it is relatively easy to set DDG as search engine on Vivaldi, i haven't tried it on Google Chrome.

DDG is improving (can't say that much for Yahoo).

-dantheman (March 06, 2015, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, you weren't overriding anything.  I was just pointing out the prior conversations and my own experiences.

Totally agree Tom... that's what I was doing for a while, then I figured, why even have it as default.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version