topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: 10th Anniversary - long time member check-in thread  (Read 298076 times)

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
Re: 10th Anniversary - long time member check-in thread
« Reply #175 on: April 19, 2015, 08:35 PM »
Darned hearing aids must need fixing.  I could swear I heard somebody say "where's mrainey?"
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #176 on: April 19, 2015, 08:44 PM »
mrainey! Great to hear from you!  :Thmbsup:
I think that voice you heard was cody flying outside your window and screaming it at you!

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #177 on: April 19, 2015, 09:44 PM »
He must be attracted to the light.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #178 on: April 19, 2015, 10:14 PM »
didn't think mrainey used windows any more?

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #179 on: April 20, 2015, 07:31 AM »
Still hanging with XP, actually.  Probably some day I'll regret it, but no obvious problems yet.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #180 on: April 20, 2015, 02:49 PM »
Hi Mouser and all the people here at DC
I still drop in and have a look sometimes, usually after I get a newsletter.
I have been working in Adult Education at our local community centre where I have been tutoring adults with literacy and numeracy issues as well as people who want to learn a bit about computers, just the basic sort of stuff, browsing the internet, sending mail, copying files.

And it really isn't that dangerous in Australia Mouser, suits of Armour are not really needed, most of the time lol

Cheers and thanks for a great place on the net
George

rickumali

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #181 on: April 20, 2015, 09:12 PM »
Hello DC people!

This is my first post, but I have donated and bought software from this nice website many years ago.

The fundraising looks successful, and I'm glad to be out of the woodwork!  :D 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #182 on: April 20, 2015, 09:17 PM »
Hi Rick -- it you 6 years to make your first post -- hopefully it won't take you so long to make the next.

Grorgy!!! Great to see you  :up: :up: :up:
Regarding your Australian suit of armour comment  :lol:
Everyone getting off the plane flying into australia should be given a giant book of poisonous creatures to beware, one suit of armour, and some kangaroo repellant, since the suit of armour isn't going to help you with a mad kangaroo.

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #183 on: April 21, 2015, 09:09 AM »
Hey!  :)

Another "lost one" here. You can strike out my name from the list :D

It's true, I haven't been here for a while, but I'm glad to see that this great community is still going strong. Thank you Jesse for being the driving force behind it. And congratulations everyone for this 10th anniversary  :beerchug:

I'll try to come back more often and hopefully make a post or two before the 20th anniversary  :P

I'll have what she's having

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #184 on: April 22, 2015, 09:41 AM »
Good morning dc!!

I know I'm a month late, but perhaps I haven't completely missed the party (fashionably late...right?). What a great thread to read. Thanks mouser for harassing me until I got in here (you get the bounty it seems), and congratulations on such an amazing achievement (no we cannot pretend we walked through the wrong door)!! Unfortunately I cannot claim to be a lurker like many others, I must live with the shame of having abandoned DC. Who could possibly believe it's been almost eight years since I first came to DC, and it's been two since I was last here :(. I can't really say quite what happened, I guess things just kind of got in the way and much like with f0dder a nagging sense of guilt kind of crept up on me. I've received several emails about this thread, but I knew it was going to take forever to get through the existing posts (how could I possibly post without reading through them all?), and that I'd end up writing half a book in response, so it had to wait until things calmed down a bit IRL (my apologies mouser). In the end it looks like it's taken about three hours haha.

As a quick asside, I'm afraid I must concur with db90h Mouse Man, we should have SSL by default up in here. Paging Gothic Man! Also the server costs do seem incredibly high. It's high time I did DC some favors, so hit me up in PM if you're in need of any help there.

--boring stuff starts here (or perhaps two paragraphs ago)--

So I guess the biggest change has been my moving to the USA (away from the "insane crazy creatures" [yes I saw that mouser, and the other one like four posts ago, you just watch yourself]) in November last year (and who knew we had so many Australians? This is basically one big Aussie thread). It's been great so far (except for living in Miami, yuk). Big change number two is that I'm now married (the reason for moving to the US) which is awesome (to a guy in case of any of the third-person pronouns I use later on confuse anyone). It's been a long time coming (been doing the long-distance thing for as long as I've been on DC), but had to wait for DOMA repeal etc etc. He's graduating next week with a PhD in forensic psychology (have you graduated yet mouser or are still getting crap from Josh on a daily basis?), and the day after we'll be moving up to Virginia (yaaaaay!) to accommodate his working for the FBI in a one-year post-doc doing deception detection research.

In other news that will surprise everyone, I'm no longer an avid news reader. That too went by the wayside as real life got in the way. The main reason for that was probably the reduction (or elimination) of my daily commute when I started working remotely. In general I've fallen away from most of the online communities I used to be a part of in favor of devoting more time to real life. I miss it a lot actually. I tend to peek at the front page of Reddit during those standing-in-line type moments, though I've probably been spending more time on /r/thebutton recently than I'd care to admit. I'm a little less cagey these days about putting personal information online, but you'll still never catch me on Instagram or Facebook or any of that crap - I can't stand LinkedIn as it is. I still can't handle coffee, but caffeine (usually in the form of black tea, which until I left home was drunk from one of the DC mugs which mum insisted on keeping so now I'm using some target crap) has become a dietary staple. Some days I wonder if it keeps some kind of undiagnosed ADHD at bay. I'm still not keeping myself in shape like I should, but the old ball-and-chain has me eating fairly well (mostly - the easter candy...well...). Some random memories that came back as I was reading this thread include meeting App, my lovely mugs (and mouser being far too generous with the swag, especially mailing it to .au), the fun times in IRC, TNT (of course), and that one time Josh learned how use a webcam (*shudder*).

On the work front, I'm now a filthy Mac user (like seemingly everyone else on this thread). I hate Apple just as much as always, but it was a necessary change to continue into the work I wanted to do (and, honestly, Microsoft are far too retarded/clueless these days to be trusted with an operating system). I do appreciate how much more it resembles Linux than Windows does, and there's a pretty decent community around making it even more-so (homebrew mainly). I'm still a hardcore android user, currently on a 1+1 running CM11 (see, I don't even have time to update my handset these days! :_(). I'm still an open source nut, and have long since moved away from the desktop-support side of IT, and am now working mostly with high-scale Linux infrastructure and software development, primarily for early start-ups (keeping my distance from the suits and 9-5ers as much as possible). It's a lot of fun, and who could turn the opportunity to be constantly learning new stuff on the job? I'm currently working one full-time job and one part-time job (the full time since I got US employment authorization, and the part-time is winding down the Australian job I kept while waiting for authorization) which is burning me out pretty effectively, but the part-time should be over soon.

--boring stuff probably ends here--

Alright, that's enough bla bla bla from me I think. I'll sick my head into the (new, as I understand it?) IRC channel in the next couple of weeks (probably after the move) and see if I can't troll Joshua a little. Thanks again mouser, it's been so great reading this thing, and congratulations again on a job very well done.

Ehtyar.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #185 on: April 22, 2015, 10:21 AM »
Ehtyar!!!! :greenclp:  :-*

What an awesome read.  As much as I shy away from most human contact in real life, I'm just loving hearing updates about people's lives here in this thread.  As I said before -- no need to apologize or feel guilty for moving on to other interests.. It's just great to hear from you!
(I'm afraid I left my PhD program, which remains a tender issue for me, but that's for another day).  Thank you -- and everyone else -- for sharing part of yourself here.  It's been such a pleasure to be able to share a small slice of life with you all.

alivingspirit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2015, 08:07 PM »
OK fine, I guess I should check in.

A long time ago (6+ years I think), I stumbled upon DC while searching the internet for free software. I was never a very active poster but there was a point in time that I read every thread voraciously. It was soon after that Mouser made the programming school and I was hooked into doing the C++ exercises and getting a very cool first exposure to programming with some encouraging pushes from Mouser and other DC'ers. Because of the programming school I majored in CS in College am now am a full time developer in downtown Chicago. I also grew up, got married, had a kid with a second on the way leaving a lot less time to spend browsing DC and the Internet in general.

I attribute much of the success in my career to the DC programming school. If it was not for that I would have most likely majored in a different field and only would have had an interest in software as a hobby and not as a career path. I do occasionally browse the forums so don't be surprised is I suddenly post on some random thread.

DC is a great community and I hope it will remain strong for many years to come.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2015, 11:51 PM »
A long time ago (6+ years I think), I stumbled upon DC while searching the internet for free software. I was never a very active poster but there was a point in time that I read every thread voraciously. It was soon after that Mouser made the programming school and I was hooked into doing the C++ exercises and getting a very cool first exposure to programming with some encouraging pushes from Mouser and other DC'ers. Because of the programming school I majored in CS in College am now am a full time developer in downtown Chicago. I also grew up, got married, had a kid with a second on the way..

What a wonderful and amazing update to read.  Huge smile here.  :)
I remember your programming assignments quite well -- you were one of the few people to complete an entire stage of 10 assignments.
There's just nothing more to say but how happy I am to read this and hear from you  :up:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #188 on: May 11, 2015, 03:58 PM »
Somewhere along the line we also seem to have lost touch with beloved member 40hz, last seen in february  :(

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #189 on: May 11, 2015, 06:34 PM »
I recall him saying he was going to step out for a bit, just didn't know when.  Remember his turtle avatar was slowly fading?  That was a hint. 
I have his email around somewhere, and I keep meaning to dig it up and touch base with him, but other things get in the way.  I'll do that now...
 :tellme:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #190 on: May 12, 2015, 04:51 AM »
Somewhere along the line we also seem to have lost touch with beloved member 40hz, last seen in february  :(
yeah,
that's been a notable absence. Hopefully he's doing okay (and just taking a break as Edvard says he was talking about).

Remember his turtle avatar was slowly fading?  That was a hint.
I hadnt noticed that -
I see it's gone completely now - and his signature is gone too! - Wish him the best and tell him come visit sometime.
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #191 on: May 12, 2015, 09:56 AM »
Somewhere along the line we also seem to have lost touch with beloved member 40hz, last seen in february  :(
Remember his turtle avatar was slowly fading?  That was a hint.

You never know, it could be station drift, or maybe he's been switched to another frequency, or fallen foul of one of those Russian jamming signals, or gone thetan, or something.
There's a whole spectrum of possibilities for us to meditate upon.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #192 on: May 12, 2015, 11:21 AM »
You never know, it could be station drift, or maybe he's been switched to another frequency, or fallen foul of one of those Russian jamming signals, or gone thetan, or something.
There's a whole spectrum of possibilities for us to meditate upon.
Might even have turned turtle.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #193 on: July 15, 2015, 02:16 AM »
I finally heard back from 40Hz!  :o

He reports he is still alive and kicking, and though I hesitate to reveal more of his situation out of concern for simple privacy, I can say life has taken him in a direction somewhat askew from most things tech, getting more active in music and it's doing his spirit well.  He does miss us all and hopes to soon pop in for a bit here and there, though it will probably be later rather than sooner when he crosses this path again.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
..."
- J.R.R. Tolkien; First verse of Gandalf's letter to Frodo Baggins in Bree.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #194 on: July 15, 2015, 03:32 AM »
That is wonderful news!  :up: :up: :up: :up:
It's good to hear 40hz is moving on another wavelength but is still alive and kicking. Tell him we're thinking of him and wishing him well, and we'll leave a seat at the table.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2015, 10:53 AM »
...and we'll leave a seat at the table.

...or a channel open on that frequency...

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #196 on: July 16, 2015, 11:19 AM »
...and we'll leave a seat at the table.

...or a channel open on that frequency...

(From Star Trek Voyager)
"He lives in Fluidic Space now. It is not for us to be there!"

zxcvbn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Strandlife
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #197 on: September 15, 2015, 03:27 PM »
Not on your list but still coggin' on.  I read your newsletter with great interest, when I am not down at our local surgery having yet another blood test or some other such check up.   ;)
zxcvbn

wyrwolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • It is what it is.
    • View Profile
    • banner page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2015, 06:03 PM »
Joined 2006
More of a Graphics guy than a Coder at that point, mostly just Consulting for friends these days - tho I am considering making a small, wildly successful, game...
Already suffering from Fibromyalgia and Stress Disorder, which I am finally managing somewhat acceptably 5 years after my move to BC - still leaves me with very little energy to spend here  :(
I've found a LOT of good stuff here, and I always Highly Recommend it to people
Proud to be a Supporting Member of this community - one of the best on the Web (I'm not an 'Online Community' kind of guy, but this one works for me)
Thanks, everyone - I appreciate you all
It is what it is.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2015, 03:59 AM »
^ @wyrwolf & zxcvbn :Thmbsup: :-*

--------------
and here was the first post from ToddWC,