topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: 10th Anniversary - long time member check-in thread  (Read 298103 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 10th Anniversary - long time member check-in thread
« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2015, 04:31 PM »
I guess this would be a good place to spam the link to all the people who have not been here for ages!

If any of you guys are on Facebook, and would like to keep up with the important things that are happening on DC from time to time, then you should "like" our Facebook Page! xD

https://www.facebook...r?ref=ts&fref=ts

On a less spammy note...It really is fantastic to see all these old names popping up!  Welcome back guys and girls, even if it was only for that one post!  :D

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #151 on: March 25, 2015, 02:21 PM »
Wow, hadn't been here in a long time and just decided to start checking back again! Ten years already? How'd that happen?

I remember when Mouser first floated this site as a kind of experiment to test out his unique approach to the freeware / shareware divide. Now it's so much easier for developers to make money. The only problem is, as soon as they make it they have to give it to Apple!  :D

I'm still using OneNote and still a big fan of the kind of freeware gems this site has always been able to ferret out of the wild Internet. So some things have not changed all that much.

Congratulations on 10 awesome years, Mouser! And a heartfelt thanks as well. Whenever I have some weird software issue nobody else around me even understands, I know I can always post about it at DonationCoder!
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #152 on: March 26, 2015, 12:07 AM »
Whenever I have some weird software issue nobody else around me even understands, I know I can always post about it at DonationCoder!

That quote should be added to the front page!

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2015, 11:07 AM »
ps.
I hope none of you current regulars get any funny ideas from this thread and make plans to disappear for a few years just to get the lost sheep treatment !  >:(
Don't even think about it!!!!!
Better keep us reined in with a "lost sheep" mug, then! :P
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2015, 11:26 AM »
f0dder you have already earned the never-yet-created, occasionally mentioned, 5000 post mug.
if we could find someone to design that mug..

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2015, 11:35 AM »
f0dder you have already earned the never-yet-created, occasionally mentioned, 5000 post mug.
if we could find someone to design that mug..
I sortakinda think nudey made a design like that?

Not sure why I get that idea, though...

f0dder-doco-5k-posts.jpg10th Anniversary - long time member check-in thread
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2015, 11:46 AM »
hahaha did I already send that out?  my memory has never been my best quality.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2015, 11:49 AM »
hahaha did I already send that out?  my memory has never been my best quality.
Nor mine, but I'd never forget about my two DC mugs :)

I don't think the "over nine thousand!" mug got made, though, and a "lost sheep" one would be cute ^_^
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2015, 11:54 AM »
and a "lost sheep" one would be cute ^_^

i don't want to encourage more lost sheep!!

and we work on exponentials here, the next Post Achievement mug should be at 25,000 posts.

i suppose there are a few more members that need 5000 post mugs too..

AbteriX

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2015, 02:22 PM »
25,000 posts  :'(

Let's see: I have 1.000 in 10 years,... then for 10.000 post I would need....   .................... forget it!   :-[    

;D          :P            :Thmbsup:          :D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2015, 02:29 PM »
There was those really cute schnapps 'glasses'
(made from ceramic)

I requested one @ 5,000 posts but never got it   :D

hi f0dder and everyone else who's been checking in :-*

Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2015, 02:31 PM »
Ok tell you what, after the fundraiser when we are swimming in dosh, i'll print up a list of all 5,000+ posters and we'll get those 5000 post mugs (or shot glasses) sent out to all who havent gotten them yet.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2015, 02:32 PM »
Back on topic: There are still some lost sheep that haven't been heard from.. How can we find them?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2015, 10:22 PM »
Ok tell you what, after the fundraiser when we are swimming in dosh, i'll print up a list of all 5,000+ posters and we'll get those 5000 post mugs (or shot glasses) sent out to all who havent gotten them yet.

Remember when I made the suggestion for the pocket sized, 2-sided, ceramic "Cody Coin" tokens? They would be perfect for this kind of award. All we need is 2 nice round images to have printed on it. One with Cody for one side, and an image for the type of award it is, for the other. ;)

http://www.zazzle.co...p-256822468050935917

laughinglizard

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #164 on: March 31, 2015, 04:38 PM »
One of the things I wish for to celebrate the 10th anniversary of DonationCoder is to hear briefly from some of our long time olden-days members who have gone awol and haven't posted in a long time.

You don't have to say much of anything if you don't want to -- a simple "hello" would do, just so we could see your avatars and smile.

Even better would be if you gave us an update on your life, your hobbies, projects, etc.  No need to explain why you have moved on from DC -- just give a little hello for those of us who remember you fondly.

I really hope to see some posts here from our lost members -- it would make me very happy.

I've been here since 2007. I've never moved on from DC, it's always been close to my heart. The last six years I've been writing for Gizmo's Freeware (Tech Treats) and keeping up their Facebook and Google+ pages. I popped in to donate a few bucks, say hi, and say thanks for the kind words in the links section for Tech Support Alert. Gizmo sent out a post today mentioning the anniversary and stating quite wonderfully why we should support sites like this.
On a personal front, our family lost three members inside a year, and after years of building two straw bale houses on our own we found a contractor we love who is finishing them up for us. That's what happens when you get old and lose your job boss. ;D
Warm wishes to all.....
Rhiannon

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #165 on: March 31, 2015, 05:37 PM »
Great to hear from you Rhiannon, and great to hear your still doing good work over at Gizmo's site (said it before, i'll say it again, one of the best sites out there).
I'm sorry to hear about the family members, that sounds awful.. :(

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #166 on: April 02, 2015, 03:00 PM »
Baaa Baaaaaa BaaAaaaaaa More Grass pwease Baaaaaa  :-* Hiiiiiii
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #167 on: April 02, 2015, 03:13 PM »
Good to see you mitz!  :up:

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #168 on: April 02, 2015, 04:44 PM »
Baaa Baaaaaa BaaAaaaaaa More Grass pwease Baaaaaa  :-* Hiiiiiii
Baa Baaa Baaa, BaaaaBaaBwa Ann!
 :D

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #169 on: April 03, 2015, 04:23 AM »
Hi Cavalcader.. Another avatar that brings back memories.

hehe; yeah! At first I didn't remember the username Cavalcader, but I remembered at once when I saw the avatar~signature -thing:

Cavalcader.gif

By the way, the included link is still working: http://www.blogthing...glishdoyouspeakquiz/

You Speak General American English!
-whatkindofamericanenglishdoyouspeakquiz

-probably because I have never been to an English speaking country ;-)

-------

Well, I really just posted to say how good a feeling it is, to meet all these aliases again  :-*
and to give my congratulations and best wishes, and a thank you!, to mouser  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:11 AM by Curt »

laughinglizard

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #170 on: April 03, 2015, 10:26 PM »
Great to hear from you Rhiannon, and great to hear your still doing good work over at Gizmo's site (said it before, i'll say it again, one of the best sites out there).
I'm sorry to hear about the family members, that sounds awful.. :(

Thanks mouser. It was my Mom, my Aunt and my Grandmother who died, my cousin and I are still standing. The houses are coming along really quickly. Almost faster than we ca keep up with. My latest task is counting how many electrical outlets there are, what kind they are, what sockets and switch plates they need and then rounding them up.

Life over at Gizmo's is busy, the site just keeps growing - sometimes when I think about all the people from around the world volunteering their time and talent it boggles my brain.
I don't know what goes on under under the hood of making the site work since I'm at the front end writing stuff, so I can only imagine the amount of work.

Congratulations on ten years to mouser and the rest of us. :)

Rhiannon

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2015, 12:36 AM »
Wow.  2 posts last December kept me out of the official Lost Sheep list.  Before that, I was out for over over 2 years (2012)...Oh well, that is close enough, isn't it? 

So what took me away from the posts in 2012?  Can't really say.  Just sort of wandered away I guess.  Maybe that was when I had my lateral promotion (if you can call it that) at U. S. Steel.  Don't recall.  Either way, they let me go a year and a half later during their draw downs (even now they are closing plants around the world).  I was pidgin-holed in a dead-end, silo position I hated (but I convinced myself wasn't all that bad because the pay and benefits were substantial - not to mention 15 years of service towards a pension - who still offers that!?!).  Woe be to me if I overstepped my boundaries into someone else's silo (which I did regularly - probably what led to my dismissal).

Anyway, thanks to the grace of God, I landed a new job at a Software as a Service company for the healthcare industry as a Devops engineer and I LOVE it.  The hours suck and the pay is on the low side of average, but otherwise it is pretty much my dream job.  I get to put a lot of time into learning scripting and have been doing mostly bash and powershell scripting.  I also do a lot of work with MongoDB administration and VMware.  For me, that is pretty much a perfect work environment; well except for the MongoDB stuff - that was a *bonus* that I am currently in a love/hate relationship with.  At least it IS interesting though.

Unfortunately home life has suffered some because of the aforementioned sucky hours.  Still, we get to see each other every day, if not all at the same time, so it could certainly be worse.  Between work, home life (read chores), and church; I have little time left for any leisure activities and spend them mostly with the kids, so sorry I don't get here much, but I do stop by on occasion. 

(Okay, okay, I am not really sorry at all.  Like others, I wish I could be here as well as doing the other things, but since I can't, I chose family over the forums and I am not sorry at all that I choose to prioritize my life that way.  If I know anything about most of the people here, I would say you aren't sorry about that choice either - well, maybe some are, but not most of you  :P :Thmbsup:)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2015, 12:50 AM »
Wonderful to hear about your life, steeladept  :up: :up: :up:  Excited to be learning new stuff.. that is the way to live happy.  :up:

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #173 on: April 18, 2015, 07:36 AM »
Hello everyone.

I hope you are all fantastic. It seems like a lifetime ago that I was last active on DC. I do miss the gang - the website as well as the IRC channel. I REALLY apologize for taking so long to make this post. I found out about it late and then it was longer yet before I made posted this message.

Let's see, the last time I was on DC was two states ago. I was in Louisiana at the time. Then I moved to Texas. In that year after Ann and I moved, I moved 7 times that year. It was horrible!!!! Sadly, since that time (2010) my wife and both my dogs (children) died. Incredibly, that was just over 5 years ago already that Ann died. It took me a while, but I eventually got a good job again and finally got back on my feet. Like many Americans, work now keeps me too busy, but I generally like what I do and my colleagues.

As some of you know, I have lived with pain for 15 years now. I still struggle with this, but am generally completely independent and I am managing the pain now with vigorous exercise much better than I did in the past.

Now I live in North Carolina where I finished my education centuries ago and met my wife. I was in the mountains for a while (western North Carolina near Tennessee) and now I am on the coast (eastern North Carolina). As some of you might have seen from JoTo's post, I took a trip to Germany last year. It was my first time off North America. I travelled there with my sister and visited JoTo and we stayed with his work colleague. Of course I loved Germany, particularly the extra sharp mustard, maultachen, Swabian pretzels, spaetzle, beer, and the people that we met. We had a wonderful trip.

All of you take care!
Love, KenR
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #174 on: April 19, 2015, 04:24 PM »
Ken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for posting in this thread.. I knew about your trip to visit JoTo but it's nice to hear your description of it.. I've known enough people with back pain to know how devastating it can be.. It's great to hear you are back on your feet, so to speak, and just great to hear from you in general.  :-*