ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

BitTorrent Sync 2.0 Sucks!

<< < (2/4) > >>

superboyac:
I tried Syncthing and couldn't get it to work for me.

I'm still happily using my copy of BTSync 1.x. :Thmbsup:
-Deozaan (April 18, 2015, 11:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
yea, that's a good way to go about it.  my favorite version was the one before they completely overhauled the interface.  this one:

phitsc:
Do you guys have an opinion about the trustworthiness of BTSync from a privacy point of view (it being closed source). I'm thinking about backdoors and stuff.

Deozaan:
Do you guys have an opinion about the trustworthiness of BTSync from a privacy point of view (it being closed source). I'm thinking about backdoors and stuff.
-phitsc (June 11, 2015, 02:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry for the very delayed reply. Either I didn't see your post, or perhaps at the time I did see it but figured I'm no security expert so I'd wait for someone who knew more about it than myself to say something intelligent on the subject.

In my opinion, it's secure and private. At least enough for my needs. Especially since it is direct (private) P2P instead of public like regular BitTorrent. That is to say, it's essentially BitTorrent technology but no one gets access to the .torrent files except for the people you explicitly share the key with.

I suppose it's possible that there are backdoors in it, especially considering how BitTorrent.com has sold out the past few years, filling what were amazing, wonderful products with sleazy ads and using other questionable practices. I would say that if you are not attempting to share state secrets using BTSync, or other similarly sensitive documents, it's probably safe to use.

phitsc:
Thanks for the reply Deozaan. Although I'm not trying to protect any state secrets I didn't have a good feeling using it, maybe for the reasons you state. I am experimenting with Syncthing now.

Deozaan:
Thanks for the reply Deozaan. Although I'm not trying to protect any state secrets I didn't have a good feeling using it, maybe for the reasons you state. I am experimenting with Syncthing now.
-phitsc (September 15, 2015, 02:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I absolutely do not recommend BTSync 2.x, but I'm still happily using version 1.4.110. Good luck with Syncthing.  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version