ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for program that can copy folder hierarchy with checkboxes and size est.

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
I'm looking for an app that would let me select from a deep hierarchy of folders -- checking the folders i want to copy to a destination folder, while showing me size estimates of the total selected, and then copy from source to destination.

An example of using this would be if i have a large music collection and i want to copy a subset of it that will fit on a 64gb drive.

The key is being able to check/select arbitrary items at arbitrary locations in the hierarchy, and keep the hierarchy intact when copying.

Anyone know of a tool that can do this?

tomos:
I believe Dopus can do this - but maybe you're looking for something more focused (?)
Other file managers may also be able to do this too.

Turn on 'Flat view/Grouped' (I've modified my toolbars and shortcuts - I think this under the 'Folder options' button) - you can now see the hierarchy and all files
Turn on check-box mode in folder options (see help for more info) - shows check-box for selection
=> select folders / files
copy/move
you will be asked if you want to recreate the hierarchy

Note: I'm not sure how this will work when simultaneously copying from various levels in the hierarchy (but presume it will work)
The default statusbar will show size of selected items

EDIT: see if anyone else chimes in here - this is not working for me on Windows 8.1 -
I am not getting asked if I want to recreate the hierarchy. (FWIW, I do get asked that when synchronising and when I then manually select what to copy.) Wont be able to check on Win.7 desktop till maybe Monday ...

Curt:
maybe Copywhiz

$30 http://www.conceptworld.com/Copywhiz
$20 http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/copywhiz

http://www.conceptworld.com/Copywhiz/Features

mouser:
Thanks for the replies folks.
Tomos those are some pretty neat Directory Opus tricks, I may have to explore the flat and checkbox modes in a bit..
Having said that, it actually looks like perhaps Beyond Compare, one of my most essential tools -- may be able to do this flawlessly.. Another victory for BC... with the added bonus that I already own it!

4wd:
EDIT: see if anyone else chimes in here - this is not working for me on Windows 8.1 -
I am not getting asked if I want to recreate the hierarchy.-tomos (February 28, 2015, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Works fine:

Do note that while you can turn on Calculate folder sizes, it'll only do it for the parent, any sub-folders don't get calculated and aren't added to the running total in the Status bar, (as you can see from the bits I've highlighted - a folder with ~36MB of files but only ~10MB in the running total).

I don't know if there is a setting that will propagate the folder selection to included files, this would fix the total size selected discrepancy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version