topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Far Cry 4 was amazing  (Read 35028 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Far Cry 4 was amazing
« on: February 25, 2015, 06:13 PM »
Just finished playing Far Cry 4.  Starts out slower than Far Cry 3, but every bit as good.
Incredibly impressive open world game.. The feeling of being in a living breathing world is palpable. I saw a bear attack a herd of yak's, a leopard jump on a bear, etc., etc.
And the graphics are incredible.  It's easy to see how in our lifetimes videos games are going to be built on top of full blown serious ecosystem simulations.. pretty amazing stuff.
Easy candidate for best game of the year -- as positive as the reviews were, I think this game is being underrated (perhaps because it starts a little slow).

Warning: This is a very violent game series -- one thing that sucks is that you have to hunt animals in the game.

Other reviews:
http://www.metacriti...om/game/pc/far-cry-4

Video review:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:13 PM by mouser »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Far Cry 4 was amazing
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Warning: This is a very violent game series -- one thing that sucks is that you have to hunt animals in the game.

As it was in Far Cry 3 - this is fine and I have no problem with it, (being a hunter myself), because you use what you kill.  Even if you only need the skin, you collect bait which can be used against the opposition.

Be nicer if they'd had some form of energy depletion and you sit down and roast your kill to gain energy, (of course you'd probably attract unwanted bears, tigers, etc :) ).

I think that instead of highlighting a point on the map saying "Go there, do this", they could have said "Go find this place, do this" leaving enough references, (sign posts, a compass heading, talk to locals you see, etc), that you could determine where you're supposed to go.  Then, maybe, when you're within ~100m you get a location on the map or some other form of alert.
Being shown where you need to be from the start makes it far to linear, mind you, you can take your time getting there usually.  So you can have a blast running things over or dropping 40mm rounds from a buzzer  ;D

Not a bad game, (like Far Cry 3 and 2), but once I got a reasonably quiet weapon it became rather easy.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 06:32 PM »
NSFW:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 06:48 PM »
^ F&^%#@'n spot on  :Thmbsup:

Though I usually used close range weapons, the sniper rifles make it far too easy - but the .50 certainly makes short work of the large critters.  ;D

Laughing Man

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • V for Viktor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 09:02 PM »
You should try co-op. It's fun tackling the fortresses at their full strength with a partner.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 01:23 AM »
Looks like it's 40% off on Steam atm, personally I am still going to wait till I can snatch it for €5-10 on a sale like with Far Cry 3.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 09:17 AM »
Looks like it's 40% off on Steam atm, personally I am still going to wait till I can snatch it for €5-10 on a sale like with Far Cry 3.

I'm trying to force myself to do the same.  Then I don't have to feel as bad when I don't get a chance to play it.