ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Solved: Why won't my laptop run Firefox?

<< < (8/9) > >>

MilesAhead:
^ oh, yes, Thank you for the adware-installing jelly thing! hehe  ;D

-Curt (March 04, 2015, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry about that.  I just went by the blog.  On reading the NirSoft description again is does seem ProduKey will detect the Product Key for the OS for Vista and W7 but W8 is not mentioned.

I should have suggested running that Jelly thing under Toolwiz Time Freeze.  But I didn't think a blogger would link to such a utility without even mentioning it's adware.  Naive I guess.  :)

I wouldn't be surprised if the Registry was corrupted.  Just lots of things seem weird.  It might not hurt to try CCleaner's Registry cleaning option.  It makes a .reg file to restore changes before making deletions(provided you click OK when asked.)  So if the machine still boots you should be able to get back where you were.  But a whacky registry can definitely produce strange behavior.

If CCleaner shows about 10 screens worth of "issues" then a repair install may be a minimum.

Curt:
^thank you for showing concern.  :up: 
Jelly' was both installed and removed by Revo Pro, so my machine is still clean; the adware was Uniblue-something, and though they are bad guys, I think they are not dangerous.

ewemoa:
If nothing else, if the hw is good you could do a complete wipe and install and at least have a running Laptop with a clean OS on it.
-MilesAhead (March 04, 2015, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd not be so hasty to do this unless there is a recovery option available (alternatively, clone the existing drive and keep that or the source drive safe somewhere for future reference) -- if the OS that's on there is or "inherits" from an OEM install, there may be OEM-specific files that having access to later may make one's life easier.

I agree that determining the key via the likes of ProduKey as suggested is a good idea.

MilesAhead:
If nothing else, if the hw is good you could do a complete wipe and install and at least have a running Laptop with a clean OS on it.
-MilesAhead (March 04, 2015, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd not be so hasty to do this unless there is a recovery option available (alternatively, clone the existing drive and keep that or the source drive safe somewhere for future reference) -- if the OS that's on there is or "inherits" from an OEM install, there may be OEM-specific files that having access to later may make one's life easier.

I agree that determining the key via the likes of ProduKey as suggested is a good idea.
-ewemoa (March 05, 2015, 03:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Also try here:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Products/?app=drivers

I didn't see Z600 listed.  Autodetect if you can browse there may pick it up though.
If you have an external drive you can always make an image with Macrium Reflect.  You can mount the image in Explorer to access files later.. if you can find what you want in the pile.  :)

Curt:
MS just pulled the W7 ISO images from Digital River too. -MilesAhead (March 03, 2015, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
^ but now:

New ways to get free Windows-installation media
by Fred Langa on March 12, 2015 in Top Story

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/new-ways-to-get-free-windows-installation-media/-windowssecrets
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version