topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: My new freeware domain (or I have gone .org) :)  (Read 11723 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My new freeware domain (or I have gone .org) :)
« on: February 21, 2015, 09:46 AM »
My current domain is http://www.milesaheadsoftware.org

It is a paid domain and I have the web hosting paid up for 3 months in advance.  I hope this will tend to stabilize availability of my freeware.  :)

Unfortunately there are too many small utilities with donate commands and readme files to update them all.  But most users do not use donate commands anyway(including myself, unless I'm really enthusiastic about a particular program) so it would be a lot of effort to not much purpose.  :)

For generous souls there is a donate button on the page.  It's a simple alphabetic table of zip files.  The note at the top says all that needs to be said as far as licensing etc..

Specific usage info for each utility should be in the Readme.txt included in the zip file or in the About command.  Some may also have an .hjt file for use with TreePad Lite that pops up for an F1 press.

A few include source code but most not.  Autoit3 in particular uses "standard include" files for most everything which makes distributing the entire source impractical.  But some of the ahk utilities have source.

As noted on the page if you get an AV saying there's something bad in one of the programs please try several others.  Many of the ahk utilities use a "keyboard hook" so that the program can tell the difference between keys pressed on the physical keyboard and those sent via software etc.. This enables it to resend the same sequence without confusing itself.

I hope some of them are fun to use.  :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: My new freeware domain (or I have gone .org) :)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 05:37 PM »
Thanks for sharing!  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 06:26 PM »
Just a reminder, everyone who wants to support Miles' efforts at keeping his freeware sites online should send him a few bucks.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 08:31 AM »
Thank you both for the replies and encouragement.  Also thanks to those who chipped in. :)

zenzai

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 08:02 AM »
Funny, I also wrote a freeware program (first version in 2008) called DriveAlive which does the same and in the same way (writing a text file to the disks). It just has a GUI instead of command line. :)

http://taosoft.dk/so...freeware/drivealive/

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 02:29 PM »
Funny, I also wrote a freeware program (first version in 2008) called DriveAlive which does the same and in the same way (writing a text file to the disks). It just has a GUI instead of command line. :)

It does rhyme after all.  :)

The Gui looks good.  I had a couple of USB 3 docking stations driving me crazy.  I could not believe they insisted on spinning down the inserted HD after about 5 minutes idle.  I never found any way to disable that "feature" on that model dock.  :)

Great minds think alike?  :)

zenzai

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 04:10 AM »

It does rhyme after all.  :)

The Gui looks good.  I had a couple of USB 3 docking stations driving me crazy.  I could not believe they insisted on spinning down the inserted HD after about 5 minutes idle.  I never found any way to disable that "feature" on that model dock.  :)

Great minds think alike?  :)

Hehe, yeah... :)

Had same problem with my WD Studio disks, that's why I wrote it.