ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Preloaded spyware, courtesy Lenovo

<< < (4/7) > >>

ewemoa:
I think I stand by this. I am making my own problems with upgrade woes but my current comp is custom built that we did as a project and when it's your buddy building it you know generally there's no weird stuff (initially!) on there.
-TaoPhoenix (February 21, 2015, 07:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't found a practical way to assemble appropriate notebook PCs, but for desktop / server, have almost always gone with custom.

wraith808:
I think I stand by this. I am making my own problems with upgrade woes but my current comp is custom built that we did as a project and when it's your buddy building it you know generally there's no weird stuff (initially!) on there.
-TaoPhoenix (February 21, 2015, 07:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't found a practical way to assemble appropriate notebook PCs, but for desktop / server, have almost always gone with custom.

-ewemoa (February 21, 2015, 07:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same here.  It just isn't practical to assemble a laptop from what I've seen.  The desktop/server- because of the ability to choose individual parts- is practical for a build.  Laptops haven't seemed to reach that level yet.

And I do think it's only laptops that were affected by this...

Target:
saw this on Ghacks this morning - privdog-is-superfish-all-over-again

it appears Privdog (which ships with Comodo) may be a similar application...

and so it goes...

ewemoa:
Thanks for sharing...tip of the iceberg, anyone?

Nice to have instructions for removal (near the end of the article).

On a side note, I found it particularly irksome that for the GUI-ishly inclined that one has to "Add/Remove Snap-in".  Grrr!  On a positive note, the Ghacks article described a language-independent way of accessing the UI window that's relevant for this process, and that is much appreciated.  Some other articles describe steps that use searching which don't work on (at least some) non-English-based Windows machines (at least they didn't work for me).

Screenshots would be a plus for some of the steps to help guide (though of course that probably wouldn't help in the case where searching is part of the instructions...).

SpoilerThe last 2 paragraphs in the article...

mwb1100:
So when will legitimate security vendors (whoever they might be) start reporting when there are fishy root certs installed?  Because I don't know about you, but when I look at the collection of root certs installed on my machine (run the certmgr.msc management console plug-in program), there's no way I could say which (if any) didn't belong. 

There are 100 or so certificates (including 27 "Untrusted certificates") installed on my system - and I think that my anti-malware should tell me if they're OK or not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version