ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

soft and hard links in ntfs

<< < (4/7) > >>

Rover:
Rover: don't you actually mean that NTFS hardlinks are the equivalent of *u*x hardlinks? :) (if not using a protective program such as NTFSlink).

Btw., it was my impression that *u*x used reference counting for hardlinks, so that the data went pop only when you deleted the last filesystem entry referencing it?
-f0dder (June 14, 2006, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Glad I check my stuff before I told you how wrong you are...cause you're not  :o  :huh:
Somewhere I got it in my head wrong.  *nix hard links work just the the NTFS counter parts.... or visa versa.  ;D

So, yeah, f0dder, what you said.

f0dder:
[/offtopic]I never got it, why do people say *nix, of *u*x, or something else instead of unix?[/offtopic]
-jgpaiva (June 14, 2006, 02:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

*nix, is short for Unix and/or Linux (including BSD, AT&T Unix, and Solaris).
In other words, very generic unix and not vendor specific.
-Rover (June 14, 2006, 09:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've always though saying *nix when you mean "possibly linux" is a bit silly - linux would be "*nux". *u*x fits both "unix" and "linux"  :P

Both are a bit silly anyway, since there's other unix-like systems than linux, whose name isn't matched in *u*x. And setting up a regular expression that also matches BSD and VMS and friends, without being a simple alternation...

*big grin*  8)

nudone:
how do you pronounce *u*x ?

f0dder:
how do you pronounce *u*x ?
-nudone (June 15, 2006, 07:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
UGHz!

Kinda the sound you're making at 4 in the morning when the shizzle isn't doing as you want it to  8)

imtrobin:
Hardlinks are only useful for files in the same partition. If they are on different partition, the file is still copied on both sides.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version