ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Cell Phone Questions

<< < (4/5) > >>

mwb1100:
Crabby3 + cell phone = vehicle assist.  Easy, convenient but not free... (after purchase)

Crabby3 + bicycle + plus land-line = assist.  Semi-easy, semi-convenient but free... (after purchase)
-crabby3 (February 17, 2015, 04:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

You must have quite a large glovebox!

crabby3:
Crabby3 + cell phone = vehicle assist.  Easy, convenient but not free... (after purchase)

Crabby3 + bicycle + plus land-line = assist.  Semi-easy, semi-convenient but free... (after purchase)
-crabby3 (February 17, 2015, 04:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

You must have quite a large glovebox!

-mwb1100 (February 17, 2015, 04:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh, heh... cute.  My current ride is a standard van... small glovebox but huge trunk.  ;D  I believe one of these folding bikes may fit in a small car trunk as well.

mwb1100:
In all seriousness, if cost is the only issue (you might want the bike for other reasons), a $20 or less phone along with the $30 Truphone SIM should last for years if the use is minimal. 

If I get 4wd's Nokia 6320 working again when the battery gets here, you're welcome to it, in which case the total outlay is $30 for the SIM.

crabby3:
In all seriousness, if cost is the only issue (you might want the bike for other reasons), a $20 or less phone along with the $30 Truphone SIM should last for years if the use is minimal. 

If I get 4wd's Nokia 6320 working again when the battery gets here, you're welcome to it, in which case the total outlay is $30 for the SIM.
-mwb1100 (February 17, 2015, 05:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you for your offer.  Hope the new battery works for you.

Cost is not the only issue.  Remembering to use it now and then is another matter.  I can be an out-of-sight-out-of-mind kind of person.  No BS.

I would use the bike for other occasions.  But maybe without the hard rubber tires.

--------------------------

My main questions were answered...

Are there phones that can be used only when necessary?  No

Does one get charged for incoming calls?  Sometimes

Are there bare-bones phones?  No camera, no touchscreen, just a phone?  No

wraith808:
My main questions were answered...

Are there phones that can be used only when necessary?  No

Are there bare-bones phones?  No camera, no touchscreen, just a phone?  No
-crabby3 (February 18, 2015, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Those answers are incorrect.  You just have to look at more "senior-friendly" phones.

You can also take a look at Consumer Cellular: https://www.consumercellular.com/Info/Plans

Voice Plans   Minutes   Monthly Fee
Anywhere Casual   0   $10.00   Select
If you rarely use a cell phone but want the comfort and safety of owning one, then our Anywhere Casual plan is the one for you. Under this plan, you pay the lowest monthly fee possible ($10.00) and only pay for minutes if you use them (25ยข). Most customers on this plan use 20 cell phone minutes or less per month, and sometimes none at all. This plan is ideal for emergency or casual use. Of course, you may upgrade to a different plan at any time.

--- End quote ---

Not sure if there are any other phone services out there like that... but it comes out to what Mouser was saying earlier... about $120 a year.  They don't have phones without a camera... but it doesn't have any of the other stuff you didn't want.  And they have bring your own phone plans.

And tracfone has phones that are even more barebones than that... surprised that it wasn't mentioned.

http://www.tracfone.com/phone_detail.jsp?contentID=PCTF3280P_EN&title=LG3280

But in general, in order to not have to use a phone for more than 90 days, it's going to cost you a bit over $100 a year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version