ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Cell Phone Questions

<< < (3/5) > >>

4wd:
For pre-paid the cheapest is $15 for 365 days.
-4wd (February 14, 2015, 10:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

I couldn't believe that I didn't know about that plan (since one of my 'hobbies' is trying to get the cheapest phone service possible), but then I saw it was for Australia - what a let down.  :(-mwb1100 (February 15, 2015, 12:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I sent you a phone from Australia, remember ;)

BTW,what happened to it?  Send it to crabby3 if it still works.

mwb1100:
I sent you a phone from Australia, remember ;)

BTW,what happened to it?  Send it to crabby3 if it still works.
-4wd (February 15, 2015, 08:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh yes!  I've learned a lot about cell phones and cheap phone plans since then. 

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to take a charge  anymore either with the charger you sent with it or with a universal charger I have for a laptop. :(  I'm not sure if it just needs a new battery of if I did something else to it? I'd be more than happy to send it along, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble of figuring out what's wrong.

4wd:
Not being able to take or hold a charge, I'd say it's probably about a 95% chance of being the battery.  Nokia BL-5C and compatible are still plentiful and cheap ($5 or less) if you want to try a new one.

Only question is whether it can handle the frequency of the chosen network - I've forgotten its specs.

Plus it should happily work off a car charger as an emergency phone even with a flat battery.

mwb1100:
Being from Australia it probably supports 900/1800/1900 (the US model supported 850/1800/1900).  My notes show that AT&T uses 850 and 1900 for voice and T-Mobile uses 1900.

I think that AT&T uses 1900 in most areas with 850 providing some additional bandwidth in some areas.  But there might be some AT&T zones that only have 850, which this phone probably won't work with. But I suspect it'll have no trouble in most places.

I thought the phone wouldn't even power on with the charger plugged in, but I just tried again.  The screen comes on for about 5 seconds (just a white screen with a very small empty battery icon).  So I think a new battery might do the trick. I ordered one on eBay; we'll see how it does.

crabby3:
My thanks to all for your info and links... I have learned a lot.   :)

Getting back to what I really need, a break-down emergency plan, I have two options.

- - - - - - - -

Crabby3 + cell phone = vehicle assist.  Easy, convenient but not free... (after purchase)

Crabby3 + bicycle + plus land-line = assist.  Semi-easy, semi-convenient but free... (after purchase)

A bike like this, plus solid rubber tires, should help me out of most jams.   8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version