ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Long essay on the business of starting (feminist) collaborative publications

(1/2) > >>

mouser:
Nice long article with lessons learned from someone starting a collaborative publication, discussing issues from what software to use, to paying contributors, to hiring a lawyer.  Focuses on the business end of things.

I am very hopeful that other intersectional feminist tech publications - possibly many others - will start in the coming year. This blog post is my way of supporting these nascent publications: an offering of everything I've learned about starting and running publishing companies...

--- End quote ---

http://blog.ameliagreenhall.com/post/start-your-own-brand-everything-i-know-about-starting-collaborative-feminist-publications

rxantos:
I get the use of the information in the link, but I never understood why people need to mix gender issues with technology. Ironically, doing so is SEXIST, as it serves no purpose but to further an agenda.

What exactly is "feminist tech"? What makes technology either feminist or MRA? Machines have no gender. Nor does the machine care about the users gender.

Which begs the question. Since machines have no gender. When the singularity comes:

How will the movement of genderless but sentient beings be called? ARA (Android Rights Activist) or Andronist? Maybe GRA (Genderless Rights Activist) or GRM (Genderless Rights Movement).

I'm sorry for the rant, but I still remember gamergate.

Stoic Joker:
What exactly is "feminist tech"? What makes technology either feminist or MRA? Machines have no gender. Nor does the machine care about the users gender.-rxantos (February 18, 2015, 09:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Valid and interesting question. The company I work for is owned by a woman - a fact that is completely irrelevant to day to day operations. To me, making these distinctions only server to create and exacerbate a situation that would have otherwise never existed.

Renegade:
I get the use of the information in the link, but I never understood why people need to mix gender issues with technology. Ironically, doing so is SEXIST, as it serves no purpose but to further an agenda.

What exactly is "feminist tech"? What makes technology either feminist or MRA? Machines have no gender. Nor does the machine care about the users gender.

Which begs the question. Since machines have no gender. When the singularity comes:

How will the movement of genderless but sentient beings be called? ARA (Android Rights Activist) or Andronist? Maybe GRA (Genderless Rights Activist) or GRM (Genderless Rights Movement).

I'm sorry for the rant, but I still remember gamergate.
-rxantos (February 18, 2015, 09:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

The article was pretty good. It covered a lot of ground.

I didn't get any "feminist" feel from it. It was simply factual from what I read, though I did skim.

I don't know what they actually publish though. That may be another matter. But the article itself was a solid piece.

I'd certainly pass the link on to anyone asking about publishing.

There's a thread on feminism in the Basement forum. That's a better place to discuss things like "feminist tech". From the article, "feminist tech publication" is merely "feminist" + "tech publication" from what I can see there. i.e. A tech publication from a feminist perspective, and not "feminist technology", which simply doesn't make much sense.

Regarding the actual tech side of the article, I'm not a fan of Google Docs, but it is an easy & cheap option. But she never gets into platforms much. It's all business.

Gwen7:
Renegade nailed it!  it's feminists talking *about* technology. not someone talking about 'feminist technology' - which is meaningless. but maybe apple *still* has an app for it? :-))
i too have concerns about google docs. i use it. and i am involved with a few organizations that are in love with it. because it works. and i suspect mostly because it's free. but i keep waiting for google to come along and pull the rug out from under it someday. they have done that to other popular free products in the past like their feed reader.
free is nice. but it's not smart to get too heavily dependent on free anything. especially if it's made by google.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version