ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

License, registration, and insurance...or your cell phone

<< < (3/3)

MilesAhead:
Now what I want to see - for real public safety - is a mobile phone app that will scan and validate the cop's fingerprint (there are a lot of phony LEO cases in the news these days) to pass/fail prove they are indeed 'Duly Authorized' to be stopping people in the first place.
-Stoic Joker (February 11, 2015, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe they should have "smart badges" that squawk the cop's badge number. By the time you can check the fingerprint he's close enough to grab you.  Like, you hit a broadcast button on your phone and the cop's badge texts you the badge number which you can Google before you pull over.

crabby3:
Gods have fingerprints?   :huh:

Stoic Joker:
Now what I want to see - for real public safety - is a mobile phone app that will scan and validate the cop's fingerprint (there are a lot of phony LEO cases in the news these days) to pass/fail prove they are indeed 'Duly Authorized' to be stopping people in the first place.
-Stoic Joker (February 11, 2015, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe they should have "smart badges" that squawk the cop's badge number. By the time you can check the fingerprint he's close enough to grab you.  Like, you hit a broadcast button on your phone and the cop's badge texts you the badge number which you can Google before you pull over.-MilesAhead (February 11, 2015, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Excellent Point - but have the lookup completely automated (for safety) - Holy shit, I think we just might be on to something!

MilesAhead:
I think we just might be on to something!
-Stoic Joker (February 11, 2015, 01:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not only the badge number verified.  Since it's a smart phone a picture of the cop should automatically download if it reports the badge number is genuine for that area/jurisdiction etc..

rjbull:
Couldn't you use one of the password-protection apps, like Asus' own App Locker that was supplied with my Asus tablet, to prevent easy, casual snooping?
-rjbull (February 10, 2015, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is this available for phones, too? All phones, regardless of OS? And would it still allow an officer easy access to the e-documents he would need access to?-app103 (February 10, 2015, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
I can only speak (and only with limited knowledge) of the system I use.  If my device is typical, Android as an OS (at least 4.2.2) allows you to set an overall password for the whole device, just like a PC.  The app I referred to allows you to password-protect individual apps.  I'm assuming you would leave legally-required docs (at least, ones not too sensitive if seen by third parties) open, but your e-mail or whatever locked.  (There are other apps that can wipe an Android device remotely if it gets lost or stolen.)

And would an officer want to give you the time needed to activate it, before handing him the phone? -app103 (February 10, 2015, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
At this point, differences between the legal systems and policing poliies of different countries come into play, not to mention differing attitudes to the police.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version