ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

License, registration, and insurance...or your cell phone

<< < (2/3) > >>

app103:
I reckon there's not too many people who dont have a mobile phone, especially here at dc. Option #3 could be modified to: I'm not concerned because I dont own a smartphone (or add as another option?).
-tomos (February 10, 2015, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't have a mobile phone of any sort, smartphone, dumbphone, or otherwise.  ;)

Nor do I really have a need for one, except maybe once every few years when some family member goes into panic mode when I am not home and they don't know where I am for a few hours.

I say if you willingly hand your phone to a police officer, you should assume that he will snoop through it. But as long as it's just an option, and not required, then I don't mind the choice being there.
-Deozaan (February 10, 2015, 11:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's only just an option at this point because while many people do own mobile phones, we can't expect everyone to...yet.

Couldn't you use one of the password-protection apps, like Asus' own App Locker that was supplied with my Asus tablet, to prevent easy, casual snooping?
-rjbull (February 10, 2015, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is this available for phones, too? All phones, regardless of OS? And would it still allow an officer easy access to the e-documents he would need access to? And would an officer want to give you the time needed to activate it, before handing him the phone?

Deozaan:
Couldn't you use one of the password-protection apps, like Asus' own App Locker that was supplied with my Asus tablet, to prevent easy, casual snooping?
-rjbull (February 10, 2015, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is this available for phones, too? All phones, regardless of OS? And would it still allow an officer easy access to the e-documents he would need access to? And would an officer want to give you the time needed to activate it, before handing him the phone?
-app103 (February 10, 2015, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Android Lollipop has an app locking feature which allows you to require the device to be unlocked for people to change apps from the currently open app. I always thought of it as a "kid mode" so that you can hand off your tablet/phone to your children with a drawing app open and keep them from messing anything else up, but I guess it would work here, too.

EDIT: It's quick and easy to activate, too. It just takes a couple of taps and the current app is locked.

40hz:
I say if you willingly hand your phone to a police officer, you should assume that he will snoop through it. But as long as it's just an option, and not required, then I don't mind the choice being there.
-Deozaan (February 10, 2015, 11:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're assuming he might is not the same thing as giving your consent. At least not here it wasn't since "implied consent" was never seriously argued as being valid whenever police were involved. Or more correctly, not until recently.

There's also the question of just how willing anything is when involving the police. If an officer says "Give me your phone." your refusal can easily be justified as grounds for your arrest. Or in some cases, an excuse to use deadly force, as in: "Yes Your Honor...The remanding officer, upon not receiving 'cooperation' from the suspect, briefly looked away to check his radio and request backup. But upon looking back, saw the suspect holding an object in his hand in an threatening manner - which gave the officer cause to believe it was a firearm being pointed at him. Fearing for his own and several bystander's safety, the officer then unholstered and discharged his own firearm at the suspect in accordance with departmental policies governing the use of deadly force, striking the suspect three times in the chest at near point blank range. Medical assistance and additional police backup was immediately summoned subsequent to the officer discharging his firearm. EMTs arrived on the scene 15 minutes later, but were unable to revive the suspect who was pronounced "dead at the scene" 20 minutes and 17 seconds after the arrival of emergency medical assistance. The officer was placed on administrative leave pending internal investigation. After conducting a thorough investigation, the Internal Affairs investigating team cleared the officer, concluding his actions to be both justifiable and in accordance with departmental policy regarding the use of deadly force. As a result, the recommendation was made that no criminal charges be filed against this officer. The District Attorney, after reviewing this investigation, has announced the state will not be filing charges nor convene a grand jury to further investigate this incident. In light of that, we would like to request the court now grant a summary dismissal of all civil charges currently pending against this officer. And we further request these charges be dismissed with prejudice due to lack of merit.."

That scenario plays out far more often than you'd like to think it does.

crabby3:
I don't have a mobile phone of any sort, smartphone, dumbphone, or otherwise.  ;)
-app103 (February 10, 2015, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D .., dumbphone, ..  ;D

Maybe one could email their edocuments to the cops computer?  If nothing else.. it would be a more practical roadside sobriety test.

The standings after my vote:

Stoic Joker:
Now what I want to see - for real public safety - is a mobile phone app that will scan and validate the cop's fingerprint (there are a lot of phony LEO cases in the news these days) to pass/fail prove they are indeed 'Duly Authorized' to be stopping people in the first place.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version